Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

My surgery is scheduled for Sept 7 (next Wednesday!)

robinflrrobinfl Merritt Island FLPosts: 42
edited 08/30/2016 - 6:08 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My surgery is scheduled for Sept 7 (next Wednesday!)  

I have 4 herniated disk 3 smaller ruptures  (C5, C6, C7)  and one HUGE  one pressing on my spinal cord in a very rare place (C7-T-1) causing  pain and numbness in my right arm, leg, neck and back. . Since the biggest rupture is behind my clavicle I cannot have laser surgery.  

The surgeon will make a small incision in my neck. He will not know until he gets in there if he can safely work around my spinal cord so there is a 25% change they may open me and then close it up to re-schedule surgery through my back. He believes (75% chance) he can get to it and fuse all four ruptured disks. I had planed on refusing any spinal fusion surgery but seeing the MRI huge bulge pressing on my spinal cord and the new right leg & foot numbness changed my mind. 

I fully trust God and look forward to drawing closer to Him during this time. I've been reading Joni Eareckson Tada's book "A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty " What a blessing to have access to this book during this time!

(BTW, I HATE pain pills and  can't wait to get off them. I can't get work done, they make me grumpy, sleepy, forgetful, and I have to drink a half gallon of prune juice daily--why people enjoy them is beyond me???) 

(I still need clearance from insurance and cardiac doctor so Sept 7 is tentative.)
 ALL things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28). Amen!!
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    Robin

I like your positive attitude!  Good luck next week and let us know how it goes.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• ticklesttickles canadaPosts: 7
    edited 09/01/2016 - 3:50 AM
    Hi robinfl. I have a couple tips for you that I wish I knew before my husband had his surgery. My husband had surgery on Aug 19. They sent him home the next day. My home is not equipped for healing from cervical disc fusion. I had to go out and buy a new chair so he could move his upper body up and down. The bed was very uncomfortable because laying flat is painful. So you want to make sure you have the right type of furniture to sit on or lay down. Secondly,, Your going to have a lot of pain the first three days so please keep in mind. Your also going to be on a very high liquid diet so make sure you have stuff like, canned peaches (soft type of foods) oatmeal, soups stuff like that, Again your not going to be able to eat solids the first few days. Swallowing is going to be one of your biggest challenges and that will eventually go away. Just know after three days, you will start to get your appetite back.. If you have someone with you, have them massage your back lightly;, this will help with spasms etc Your body is going to feel very tight so you want to loosen it up. Anyhow, I hope these suggestions help you. 
  • advertisement
  • robinflrrobinfl Merritt Island FLPosts: 42
    Thank you so much. I purchased an adjustable bed last month (because of the pain) so I'm ready for that. I drink a lot of green smoothies so know that you let me know I'll make several and have them on hand. How is your husband feeling now? 
  • smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 449
    prayer and faith go a long way in stuff like this!  I'll be saying  a prayer for you, robin!
  • ticklesttickles canadaPosts: 7
    edited 09/01/2016 - 4:09 AM
    My husband has had his ups and downs, he went for his first walk three days ago but when he tried yesterday, it was much more painful. Also, I gave him some natural calm today and he told me it really relaxed his muscles and helped with the anixety. Its basically a powder format of magnesium and calcium, what you do is add it to hot water. I find its one of the better products . So if you can pick up a powder magnesium, this will really help with your spasms and pain its much better then the tablets or capsules, the trick is to drink it in hot water. Hes also concerned that the numbness and tingling will never go away but doctor said that takes the most time. I strongly feel a good diet and lots of water is crucial. The greens drink is a good idea, if you can pick up some protein powder, that will also be a good idea. The body needs a lot of protein to heal and this would be a healthy version for you. Overall, I strongly believe a proper diet high in liquids and the right supplement program will add on to the benefits especially long term. If your needing any questions, 
    I hope I can help ease your mind, I know your likely getting nervous but just know if you focus on your healing and take care of yourself, you will have a greater chance of healing.

Warning: Before you try any supplement, herb, over the counter item, exercise program, mechanical aid, brace, etc always consult with your doctor to make sure you get their approval. Some of these products may be very effective, but no two individuals or medical conditions are alike. What works for one, may cause trouble for another..
    Liz, Spine-health Moderator
  • advertisement
  • robinflrrobinfl Merritt Island FLPosts: 42
    Funny! I just poured a cup of calm and then pulled up your note.:) 

It is nice. I need the mag to help with the pain med constipation. I have drastically changed my diet a month ago. Only good  and organic no processed foods, no sugar. Yes, I am getting nervous. Thank you. 
  • RRMRRM Chennai, IndiaPosts: 20
    Dear Robin, 

From my Direct Experience from 2 Spinal Fusions, Please avoid going for Fusions and try some Non-Invasive Non-Surgical procedures & treatments by changing your Habits and Lifestyles rather than suffer later from the Fusion. Fusions are a major Failure since they don't address the later problems that degenerate the regions below the Fusion area resulting from the Strain, Imbalance & Overload from the top over time. 

Regards,
    Rajmohan

tickles said:

" just know if you focus on your healing and take care of yourself, you will have a greater chance of healing."

tickles said:

"the trick is to drink it in hot water." 

And Mr.Robin, Please do some research on the impact of a Spinal Fusion on it's Adjacent Segments by Googling the terms "spinal fusion adjacent segment" to understand the consequences of it over time.
advertisement