Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Will I be able to care for my small animals after scoliosis surgery?

I have two Syrian long-haired hamsters, 
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,437
    swaysea.b

Welcome to the Spine-Health forums.

You don't really tell us much, but we can probably assume that your surgery will involve quite a few vertebrae.

So, my advice is to start by practicing.  Clean the cage without lifting it or bending - that might mean change where it is so that it is at a better height for your new spine.  If that doesn't work, see if you can line up a friend or family member to assist you for a few months of care of the hamsters.

Please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started Welcome to Spine-Health

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi
    I would recommend having their cages and everything you need to care for them at a comfortable height. I have 2 guinea pigs. Their cage is on a table that I can reach without bending. I was fortunate to have family members around to help me. But if I didn't,  I would have put whatever else I needed at waist hieght so I could get to it easily.
    Good luck!
    Ellen 
  • advertisement
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,218
    I was going to post pretty much what they said LOL.  I'm slowly getting everything moved up to a height where i don't have to lean over.  It hurts bad to lean over anyways, and getting the floor already is almost impossible for me (if i want to get up again anyways)....the cats are having a hard time adjusting to food on the counter in the bathroom LOL.  and i am enlisting my husband to clean the litter.  Same with the dogs, the idea of holding our bouncy puppy right now is out of the question for me, so he will be looking after the dogs, doing all the feeding walking etc etc. 

Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair.