Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Anyone good at reading xrays ? i don't have an appointment for my husband till next week.

He can't get into his dr till next week. he wanted me to ask if anyone knew what the paper meant. medical records gave it to him, but like i said , won't be seen till next week and hes worried. He is worried about surgery, the growth and other stuff he don't understand .
this is what it says. 
lumbar spine mri w/o contrast 
comparison : lumbar mri on 5/06/2009
technique : the lumbar spine was imaged using standard pulsing sequences 

Findings : the strature and alignment of the lumber vertebrae is normal.the conus medullaris is at the L1 level. A 7 mm focus of signal hyperintensity in the left side of the L2 vertebral body is noted. It is slightly increased in size since 2009 and most likely represents an atypical vertebral hemangioma.therere are again noted to be schmorl's nodules iwth chronic inflammatory change in the superior endplates of the L4 and L5 . Since the prior study there has developed severe disc degeneration of the L5-S1 disc with acute and chronic inflammatory changes in the adjacent endplates. Remainder of the marrow signal in the lumbar vertebral bodies is homogeneous. No spondylolsis or spondylolisthesis is seen. The T12-L1, L1-L2, and L2-L3 discs are well-maintained in height and fluid signal with no degeneration or bulging identified. 

L3-L4 : This disc is mildy narrowed and decreased in fluid signal.Very mild bulding of this disc is unchanged with no disc herniation or stenosis identified .

L4-L5 : This disc is well maintained in height but decreased in fluid signal . Mild disc bulging at this level is unchanged.No disc herniation or stenosis is seen. 

L5-S1 : This disc is now markedly narrowed and bulging with a broad-based central and bilateral paracentral disc herniation as well as endplate osteophytes. There are Schmorl's nodules that have developed in the adjacent endplates with acute and chronic inflammatory changes. There is also fact hypertrophy.The combination of the disc herniation,osteophytes and loss of disc height is resulting in severe bilateral neural foraminal stenoses. No central stenosis is identified .

impression : degenerative disc disease in the lower lumbar spine with a disc hernation of the L5-S1 dsc as described above .
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,288

There are no medical professionals on
    this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to
    provide any type of medical advice.  This includes any analysis, interpretation, or
    advice based on any diagnostic test

That being said, there are always key words in any diagnostic
    report that basically tells you what actions may be forthcoming

MILD
      Treated with conservative measures such as Physical
    Therapy and mild medications.  Many times these situations can be cleared
    up and the condition can be resolved.

MODERATE Some
    more treatments may be needed, ie Spinal Injections, Ultra sound and stronger
    medications.  Always a possibility of more aggressive treatment if the
    conservative measures don't help

SEVERE  Need
    for stronger medications.  The requirement for surgery may be 
    necessary

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • VirginiaPlainVVirginiaPlain MichiganPosts: 186
    edited 09/14/2016 - 4:58 PM
    I would call his doctor and ask him to simply read the report and tell you over the phone what it means and then discuss it in person at his appointment. The "impression" part is what is all boils down to, anyway. You can probably research that if the dr won't do you the courtesy of a phone call.
  • advertisement