Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

C25K?

Hi All
Decided it was time to do something to improve my health. I had a microdiscectomy this past June. I was out of shape even before that. Thin and athletic in my youth (Jurassic period, I think) but like many of us, I have put on weight over the years.
Add in back surgery and, well, you know the rest. I also have cholesterol issues and have "pre" hypertension.

So? I decided to try C25K. This is a program of getting off the couch (C) and eventually being able to run a 5k. Of course, running a 5k is not my intention but if it happens, then ok!

I gave it an "Ellen " twist because I am concerned about what running could do to my back so I hop on the elliptical for that part. I like it too because its a gradual program so you don't get discouraged. 

Today was day 1. It felt great to be doing something to improve my health without killing myself! 
Ellen 
advertisement

Comments

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510

Ellen

Good luck with your new challenge!

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Thanks, Bruce! I'll keep everyone posted with my progress!
  • advertisement
    So last night my back was a little tight and sore but I was very active yesterday in addition to the walking/elliptical.  Didn't take anythung and woke up fine today. Made pesto, carrot muffins and chili for "football" Sunday. Tomorrow will be day 2 of my version of C25K. We'll see how it goes!
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,493
    fantastic ellen!!!  before my back issues started i trained to run my first 5km road race with C25K.  It was fantastic!  It wasn't hard at all, and before I knew it I could run almost the entire way without even feeling like I worked too hard!  And I found if I was having any difficulties at all, just go back and repeat one day-the one that you had the trouble with, and then carry on.  They also have a C210K-I was a quarter of the way through that one when I had to stop, but it too was fantastic!  And best also is the apps for the phone (at least they used to be) FREE!
    Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

Awesome! I do have a free app that I use. I have been sticking with it so far. It almost seems too easy!
  • advertisement
    yep, i think i'm going to do what you did-switch it up.  I have access to a pool (and i love it), and i have a bike (hate it, boring) but maybe if i do the "walking" on 1 and the "jogging" on 4-5 tension or something on the bike i would enjoy it more?? hm.  Talk about being "narrow minded", until i read your post about doing the "ellen" twist and changing it for the elliptical i was a bit stumped for working out without getting bored, and already watched all the movies-CLICK....sometimes it takes a while for my brain to fire....LOL. Think i'll try that. 
    Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

Sounds good! I listen to music while I do it.
    We set up a workout area in the house and have a DVD player and TV set up on some shelves in the room.  now all i need is something new to watch, we don't have television/cable/satellite (we live in the middle of nowhere on a farm-no hardwired anything so streaming is impossible) and i think we've watched all the movies at least 5 times....the TV and music help immensely to keep the mind off the boredom LOL.
    Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator

Started week 2 today. I started week 1 on a Saturday and my back was a little sore but I also did more. Same thing today. I guess its a combination of 1) each week, you walk less and "run" more, 2) this has happened each week on a Saturday when I am normally more active anyway,  and 3) I was out of shape to begin with.

The days I do this before work, my back doesn't bother me at all. I took tramadol today for the first time in a long time. I am hoping the more I do this, the better it will get.
    Ellen 
    i guess listen to your body...i love the program in that you can go back and repeat a day without any guilt!
    my biggest challenge from going week 1 to week 2 and then from week 5 to week 6....but that was WAY before my back hurt at all! LOL. 
    have my fingers crossed that it gets better and better for you!!!!!
    i've been swimming the last 3 weeks and it's helping me prepare for my surgery anyways...getting out of the pool is a different story, wish i had an antigravity device LOL.  but i think tonight i'm going to swim and then bike...i have a problem with getting cold while i'm in the pool thoroughly enjoying the no pain thing-but then i get out and i'm cold so maybe getting on the bike and warming up that way will help-with the cost of hydro now turning the heat up in the pool is tempting but out of reach lol

Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator

advertisement