Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

3 fusions

I have had two fusions (Level 3/4 and 6/7).  I now have a ruptured disc at C5.  I am so worried about having three levels fused and worry what it will do to my mobility.  I am a secretary and cannot afford not to work.  I was just wondering if any of you have been in my shoes and wondered what you have done. Don't know how much more of the nerve pain I can take.  Should I get a 2nd opinion?  My doctor said to hold out as long as I can take the pain.  It's been three months and I am at my wit's end.  Recovery would be 8-12 weeks.  Is that what you've experienced?  I know my health is important but I can't lose my job.  My quality of life is next to nothing.
advertisement

Comments

• sherryevssherryev Tennessee Posts: 6
    Libbyanne, I am 14 days post op from a level 3 cervical fusion. I was in severe pain for almost a year also work in the clerical field. The pain in my right arm and shoulder was horrible. I would sleep only about an hour at a time every night since December of last year. Needless to say I was exhausted. I can't take the pain no longer so I sought out as many opinions as I could get. After seeing eight neurosurgeons and getting the same diagnosis for surgery I finally found one that I was comfortable to let before my surgery. I was very scared nervous and of course didn't know what to expect afterwards. Immediately after I woke up from surgery I had no pain in my right arm. I'm still a long way from being fully recovered but I would do the surgery again. I still have pain in my shoulder and neck from before the surgery. And of course now I have pain from the surgery. But it is not as bad as before I had surgery. The swallowing issues are still there but are getting better everyday. For me I believe that this surgery has been a success so far and I believe you will have less pain after the surgery.
  • LibbyAnneLLibbyAnne Alabama Posts: 5
    Thanks for your input.  I appreciate it.  Hope you continue to feel better.
  • advertisement
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    libbyanne

you might want to read bruce
    - my story
    , i have had two surgeries that total a three level cervical fusion.

the recovery should be like your last surgeries.  the question to ask your surgeon is how soon before you can return to work - and of course include a description of the kind of work that you do.

you should also discuss the other disc between your previous fusions.  what will happen to it after these fusions.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• LibbyAnneLLibbyAnne Alabama Posts: 5
    Thank you, Bruce.  I'm going to read your story now.
advertisement