Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Piriformis muscle

advertisement

Comments

• glynnhuntgglynnhunt PennsylvaniaPosts: 25
    He has a pretty good book called treat your own back. It makes a lot of sense.
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 428
    You can probably google mackenzie sciatica and find a host of video routines. However, I did similar routines for sciatica and found many of the moves exacerbated my condition, especially the prone positions (many of them in mackenzie routine are prone, or extension, exercises). Those exercises put more compression on the disc which in turn impinged the nerve further. I found that putting the low back into a more neutral position over a longer period of time was key. Alike, I found that bilateral movements/stretches were what worked best. The aforementioned routine, as well as the muscle balance program, and PT I tried, all do a lot of unilateral work. Alternatively, I found that forward flexion moves did the same with making pain worse. That's why I'm so big on neutral positioning and bilateral moves (what you do for the left you also do for the right).  Allowing gravity to do your stretches through passive release is something everyone should look further into. I found it's what works best for me, not just for sciatica, but a host of other chronic pains (low back, shoulder, knee, foot, etc). wajih and glynnhunt also have some great advice, so taking everyone's into consideration and applying what you find works best for you should get you out of pain. 

Good luck! 

• advertisement
  • Unfortunately, I am having issues which have necessitated the suspension of physical therapy (not sure for how long).  Heck, I've even been suspended from donating blood!!!!  Yes, I am having terrible spasms again, but when I was receiving consistent deep tissue massage, I was experiencing equally as consistent relief.  The spasms now involve both legs...and sometimes it feels like my calf bone is going to break from the sheer strength of the spasms.  I've tried to do it myself, but the angle just isn't the same. 
    Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!