Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Muscle Imbalance - Stretching exercises

catapamcatapam AustriaPosts: 157
edited 10/07/2016 - 11:11 PM in Lower Back Pain
I notice for years a drastic reduction in my mobility. 
I was afraid to bend in order to avoid back pain but I think these leaded also to muscle shortening. 
I remember once my therapist rose my leg while I lied down (Lasègue test) and ask me where is the pain while I was not able to move it higher. I told him that not back pain is the cause but muscles of the back of my leg. He looked puzzled with this answer.
I found a good book yesterday wrote by a spine doctor with back problems. The book addressing this problem of muscle imbalance and comes with a set of stretching exercise on 5 categories. Firsts category is for people with serious problems.
I notice that is very difficult for me to do those exercises because my very limited mobility and I am totally of balance.
Has anyone experience with these?

I had Lumbar Microdiscectomy L5-S1 surgery in 2001 that significantly improved my life but did not improved my mobility.
My recent MRI shows Significant osteochondrosis L5 / S1.
I am just thinking that these muscle imbalance is a major factor that in long run aggravate our back issues.
Any thoughts?  

Of course I will ask also my doctor and I know each condition is different.

advertisement

Comments

• smartens162smartens162 Manitoba, CanadaPosts: 449
    I am of the opinion that improvement in mobility takes personal work and commitment.  Physio helps, but many just leave it there.  Regular exercise, including proper stretching is very important for everybody, especially those who have had surgery.  
  • MarWinMarWin OhioPosts: 700
    I believe what you're saying by the "back of your legs" is that your hamstrings feel tight and pain sets in when stretching. Is that correct? Often times it's not "tight" hamstrings causing back pain. It's an anterior pelvic tilt that stretches the hamstrings to their limit making them appear to feel tight. Many people get low back pain and start to stretch their hamstrings to find relief but if they have an anterior pelvic tilt their hamstrings are already stretched. In that case you'd need to look to stretching the hip flexors AND engaging the gluteal muscles (balance then strengthen them).   
  • advertisement
  • Had a microdisecomy L5 S1 2 years ago and what the very best course of action is pilates. I went from being able to touch the middle of my shins to putting the palms of my hands on the floor. 20/30 mins sessions once or twice a day. You would be amazed at the improvement. This lad on YouTube give a good lower back/ glute/ hip flexor orientated video.
    Mix it up with different videos  but this is a good start 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Gentle reminder, please always check with your doctor before starting exercising or changing your routine.
    You doctor knows you best and all your spinal and other medical conditions.

What can be very effective for one can be harmful to another.

Thank you
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• catapamcatapam AustriaPosts: 157
    Had a microdisecomy L5 S1 2 years ago and what the very best course of action is pilates. I went from being able to touch the middle of my shins to putting the palms of my hands on the floor. 20/30 mins sessions once or twice a day. You would be amazed at the improvement.
    Thanks for sharing. I thought links are not allowed.
    This yoga set of exercises looks quite gentle. I was able to perform them but with great care. Gentle stretching is OK but aggressive stretching could be bad.
  • advertisement
advertisement