Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Household Chores are killing me

crvgrlccrvgrl ConnecticutPosts: 2
I am 3 1/2 months post double cervical fusion with spacers. My FMLA runs out in 1 week. I am a Medical Assistant who was always on the other side of phone calls. This is my 2 nd neck fusion and I cannot sweep, vacuum, wash floors or even fold laundry without excruciating pain. I am constantly taking breaks.  I find myself having pain and spasms from my neck down my shoulders and all the way down my back. I also have this burning and feverish feeling. Does anyone have that type of feeling with their pain?? I'm supposed to be going back to work but my surgeon said I'm not ready. I have never felt pain and burning like this before. If anyone can relate please let me know how you work through it. I have tried everything. Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Crvgrl

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click the welcome message below for more information on the site.

I have not had any procedure like that but have felt the heat!
    Many members here can add  better
     posts, be gentle and take it a little easy..is there anyone who can assist you for a while?
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• laurietlauriet Kent, WAPosts: 35
    crgrl, I am almost 9 months out from surgery, anterior and posterior C 3-7, and yesterday I cleaned the bathroom, swept the (small) patio and did a few dishes and the muscles in my shoulders feel as tight as right after surgery and I feel like I could sleep around the clock, but can't get comfortable. The burning pain, to me, is the nerves. I have similar issue, my doc put me on Gabapentin to quiet them down, may want to ask doc about that. Good luck.
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,193
    Two of the common household chores that are very difficult for spineys...
    • Vacuuming
    • Using Washing  and Dryer
    The vacuuming being the worst.  Its almost the same motion as when you rake leaves (which is even worse to do).
    Putting back is never go, if you can push, thats much better and safer

But the key is making sure you do not over do something.   That can wind up in a flare up

I've been both a lumbar and cervical surgical patient.  Put aside my recent lumbar surgery this March (03/21/16)
    Prior to that I had both shoulders and hip replaced.  But the last spinal surgery was in 2000.

I still had pain doing many of those chores plus other things.  So, I plan in rest periods for about 15 minutes each 90 minutes of work.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • earthdogeearthdog New EnglandPosts: 6
    I no longer do anything that causes nerve pain,referred pain or sciatica. I hire cleaners because living in a reasonably clean home is a priority for me. I don't mind doing things that make my muscles a bit stiff and sore but  I believe that I have a responsibility to myself to avoid activities that causes me to suffer the torture of nerve pain and muscle spasm cycles. I was always a fit,strong active person before my injury. That's been the biggest challenge: making a positive life
    for myself without the easy physicality I used to dependi on. Changing my life to avoid pain isn't failure. Good luck and ❤️
advertisement