Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Shoulder pain 3 months post op

Hi I am 3 months post op after a 2 level ACDF surgery on C567. For the most part, I am recovering nicely.  The only problem is I get muscle tightness in my shoulder sometimes.  I was wondering if anyone of you experienced this and what helped.  I just started PT so I hope that helps. Any insight/advice appreciated.

mary
advertisement

Comments

• The only advice that I can give is that I had a one level ACDF at C6-C7 and three months later I developed a frozen shoulder on the same side where I had radiculopathy pre-ACDF.

Based on my own experience, I would advise to do as much PT as you can and to keep the shoulder moving every single day, even when not at PT -- i.e., home exercises.  I ended up needing shoulder surgery 6 months post-ACDF. My shoulder surgeon's opinion is that a nerve got irritated during ACDF and that I stiffened up the shoulder as a protective measure, which apparently is the exact wrong thing to do, because it puts you at risk for frozen shoulder.

If I had to do it over again, I would have started aggressive PT within 6 weeks of ACDF although I didn't feel up to it at the time and had various problems finding a decent PT in network. Believe me that you want to avoid a post ACDF shoulder surgery.
    C6-C7 ACDF - January 20, 2016
    Shoulder surgery - August 2, 2016
    Interlaminar laminotomy, mesial facetectomy and foraminotomy bilateral at C5-C6 and unilateral left at C6-C7 and bilateral C6-C7 facet fusion - December 7, 2016

• I am also 3 months out from ACDF (C6/5, C5/4) and have some residual right shoulder pain, which hasn't changed much in 2 months.  I did PT for 3 weeks starting one month after surgery, and I continue the exercises in a medical gym.  It is much better than before surgery and the pain is less widespread -  in a very specific spot.  No real range of motion limitation. The surgeon said to take an NSAID for 1 week and to give it more time.  To be honest, I thought I had bursitis before the surgery and that is what this feels like - I had a cortisone shot in my shoulder for bursitis maybe ten years ago.  I'm willing to "wait and see".
  • advertisement