Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Laminectomy at l5-s1 healing time?

After 8 months of being in serious pain, trying injections, p.t., chiropractor, etc i had the laminectomy yesterday. The last week prior to the surgery it had gotten so much worse, took me forever to get out of bed, could not put on my socks, and was darn near screaming in pain while dressing, showering, standing from a sitting position. I was so excited to get the surgery. After i felt amazing, took me a bit to get up but wasnt bad at all, so i left the hospital last night, about 5 hours after the surgery. I knew today would be worse, but it is HORRIBLE. I dont expect to be great, but can anyone tell me how long the exruciating pain will last after the surgery? The pain that was going down my right leg into my foot is almost completely gone, but the pain in my lower back from the surgery is limiting me so much. I have yet to figure out how to get out of bed without taking about 10 minutes and causing alot of pain. The surgeon said the herniated disc he took out was the size of his thumb and cut it off at the digit to show the size. That is huge! Like i said, i know it takes time to heal, i just need to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and a guesstimate of how long it will be THIS bad would be very helpful. Surgeon said within a week when i called to set up my follow-up appt, not that i dont trust him i just thought opinions from those who have had it done would be more comforting. Id appreciate any input, thank you
Jacki
advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

Jacki

The first week is the worst... hang in there... things WILL get better.   Did you doctor give you any pain meds??

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • jdtp235jjdtp235 WisconsinPosts: 50
    Yes, 5mg oxycodone but it only helps if i take a crapload of tramadol with it. A week. I can do one more week of this... :( Thank you :)
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello jdtp235 !

welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello....
    You are very early post op. Please keep your doctor in the loop of how you are feeling and if becomes too high a pain level.
    Ask him what the expectations are, as he will know best to guide and or reassure you.

Something that may benefit you is our Surgery Buddy forums. They are already labeled, so you would use search to find...October Surgery Buddies.

You can also type in your kind of surgery and you will probably be led to current or older discussions...and read what others have experienced.
    You may also be led to the medical side of SH site with articles and videos. Very informative!

You may also want to read..Recovery the Most Important Phase. Just use the search, upper right on page.

Imwish you the best in your recovery! Please keep us posted!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• jdtp235jjdtp235 WisconsinPosts: 50
    Thanks, i read alot of posts but couldnt find much about my issue. Probably just because everyone else was smart enough to expect it. Ive listened to so many commercials the last 8 months saying "no lengthy recovery" and things like that, i guess i had too high of expectations. Idk if im going to be able to take it as easy as i need to...its hard to stay down. Im really gonna have to try though. I just want to be able to work again. Laying in bed is driving me nuts. I still do everyday stuff, cooking, light cleaning, taking care of dogs, laundry...i just want to get back to the living! This has been an absolutely horrible experience and im ready for it to be over. Thanks for the input.
    Jacki
  • advertisement
advertisement