Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Sciatica for 10 months

Hello everyone,
l have had sciatica for 10 months and l am going mad!!
l have a 'significant L5-S1 bulge' confirmed by MRI in July.
I have been told injections may help but l have to wait until December to be seen at the pain clinic (I live in the U.K.)
Lyrica makes me poorly and l can't take anti-inflammatories because l also had a bleed from my stomach this year. It's been an awful year! 
I have just been started on 600mg of garbarpentin in the last couple of weeks but no joy there yet.
The pain is mainly a deep throbbing ache in my left buttock and when l stand up to walk it cuts through my whole leg like a knife!
I also have recurrent pins and needles in my leg and a numbish heel,l just feel that it will never ever go!
My questions are:
Has anyone had this longer than me?What helped?Did you feel very low??
Are injections effective? Will l have this pain forever!!!
Just someone replying will make me feel better-
Thanks so much!

• Ellen625EEllen625 New Jersey, USPosts: 757
    Hi dramaqueen
    I had sciatica for about 4 months. It was so severe I couldn't sit, drive or work.  I never tried the injections because I opted to bypass conservative treatments and go straight to surgery.  I am 4 months post op and all is well.
    Have you tried a TENS unit? It really helped me. You can get them online or in drug stores.
    Best of luck!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello dramaqueen!

Please use search, upper right on page, and type in Welcome to Spine-health.
    It will be first on list of results, Welcome to Spine-health, how to get started!

You will find much helpful information!
    Many of us seasoned members continue to refer to it time to time!

Thank you!
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • jackie12jjackie12 LeicesterPosts: 9
    Hi there , sorry to hear that your in this much pain .. I went thro this 4 and half years ago. Now .. I have osteoarthritis in lower l4l5 lumber area and a syst either side of spine arthritis in spinal canal pinching nurves and systs pinching nurves to which caused all this I had paint at start down right leg to my toes and couldn't bend my toes this lasted about 9  months if not less I seen caropractor he did heavy massage electro acupuncture which did work abit and physio Thro gp at same time so double whammy it did help I carried on with exercises at home which helped after 2  yrs I had injection in spunebto dissolve syst as I'd had MRI scan in the July this was Nov it lasted bout 4 wks then systs stated growing and pain came Bk but 2. Systs this time I had another MRI July and had surgery yr later nhs so slow to remove both systs lots of arthritis and now siatica all gone but after only 5 wks after surgery still in rehab but pain easing but can't walk far ... 
    Hi Ellen I'm 4 /5weeks post opp can't walk far when will I feel better with little pain I seem better when laying down I feel more down now than b4 I guess I thought I wud beable to do more 
    Hi drama queen I take amitriptaline for back pain and naproxen which is the antinflamitry which maybe you can't take then paracetamol but do take tablet to line my stomach can't think wot it is called
  • advertisement