Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

What can I expect

I am having fusion of l456? In 2 days up till 2 months ago I was hiking, golfing and enjoying a new relationship. How soon will I be able to function independently? Will I be able to walk without a walker and severe pain? Will I be able to drive ? Will my newly discovered sex life be over again? Any insight will be helphul
advertisement

Comments

• Hello Es1944

Welcome to Spine-Health

Heres to the very best of luck and outcomes on your surgery!
    Keep a positive attitude, hopefully this will be bringing a lot of release from the pain.

Please click the Welcome Message below for more information on Spine-Health and its many resources of information
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod
    erator

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Hi, sorry to hear about ur surgery. Mines was a Laminectomy and Diskectomy on L4-L5, it was performed 7weeks ago, I cant sit yet or being able to walk or stand more that 30 minutes without feeling pain on my surgery site, I know a Fusion is more complicated than the one I had, so just be patience because this can be overwhelming if u dont take it easy. About sexual life in my opinion it gets really hard in every sence, I had my first surgery on March 2016, and It took me almost 4 months to get that back the way it was, but who loves u will be there and understands, love and support are really important hru this. I just had a second surgery on Sep 26, 2016. So Im starting all over again. God help. Good luck. 
  • advertisement
  • mfg64mfg64 Melrose, MAPosts: 18
    Hi,

Best of luck for your surgery and recovery. Everyone's recovery is different - I had minimal pain (I had a cyst removed, a laminectomy and a fusion of L4-L5) of course I had some pain when trying to sit, stand, get out of bed but it was tolerable.
    The best thing for me was walking - I kept moving. Also, try to keep a positive attitude. Follow your surgeon's instructions. My surgery and recovery was, I think, nothing short of amazing. I was riding my horse 3 months and 1 day from the day I had surgery. I was fairly independent 4 days after coming home - I could care for myself, cook, walk, shower etc. I did need help food shopping (couldn't drive or lift heavy items) and needed someone to walk my dogs (could not risk having them jerk my back). Stopped any and all pain meds within 4 days of coming home.

it is now almost 4 months from when I had surgery and it is largely a distant memory, although I am very cognizant of not doing anything to jeopardize my healing. I am careful with twisting and/or lifting.

best of luck

mfg
  • BitzicatBBitzicat PhoenixPosts: 74
    I had fusion L45 S1 five weeks ago. Of course the first week was the hardest, but I never used the walker after leaving the hospital. If you are in good physical condition, you will be fine; just don't over-do. If it hurts, you've done too much. Walk at least a mile everyday and work up from there; physical therapy when approved by your doctor very important. Good luck.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    hello bitzicat !

welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
advertisement