Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5-S1 disc replacement, 1wk post op with neuropathy

I am a 33yr old F who had disc replacement at L5-S1 6 days ago,  with anterior approach. I was only in hospital 1 night, and after being discharged used only extra strength Tylenol for 5 days, and flexeril (muscle relaxer) for the first two days. Incision and back pain were tolerable without more intervention and at day 6 I can walk, stand, sit and care for basic needs without significant pain in those areas. 
My problem is that I woke from surgery with sharp spasm pain in left hip/glute (same side as incision/approach) and numbness down my calf and into big toe & instep, which prevented me from flexing that foot beyond perpendicular (ie I can't raise my toes from floor if standing). At day 4, the light cramping in hip and leg turned into severe burning/aching. It's tolerable during the day with frequent positon changes, but at night it's horrendous and I haven't sleep for two days. Hot shower and heat packs help some, but not enough to sleep. 

My post op isn't for another week , and I'm averse to narcotic or neuropathic pain meds, since I need to work (telecommuting from home luckily) and don't want side effects. 

Wondering if anyone had experienced similar and if so: what can I do to aid nerve recovery (should I be more or less active), how long it took your neuro pain to resolve, and any treatments that helped (barring med types noted above).

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,654

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    Did you have a big loss of disc space prior to surgury ? Getting that ADR in can stretch several things in area.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • advertisement
  • Hi Everyone .Actually my father had  L5 S1 disc replacement surgery  before 12 days .After operation he has been suffering from leg spasm contineously in muscle stiffness in both legs.had anyone sufferred  like before? plz give some opinions and suggestions.he is consuming lyrica 150 for nerve pain.