Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Cost of being a chronic pain patient on spine health

itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
edited 11/01/2016 - 10:59 AM in Chronic Pain
I thought it would be interesting to put it into financial terms. I used pretty reasonable estimates, I know my salary before injury /insurance/medical bills were way over what I estimated. I just guessed about percentages, but they seem reasonable in terms of numbers. Was hard to transfer excel into here so maybe some errors, but regardless you can see how fast it adds up. Estimates I read on just spine issues as a whole for US is something in the billions. ( I just assumed everyone is from US which I know isn't true). I just wanted to show that if spine patients were treated as valuable like athletes are you can see what just getting a small amount the right medical care, right pain control, back to work or retrained can do for cost control !!! But the highest cost of all cannot be measured in numbers, its loss quality of life and that number is priceless

Number members 55000
Percentage unable to work .15
total not working 8250
Average previous/potential Salary 50,000
Lost salary/yr non-work total 412,500,000
taxes lost/yr nonworking 123,750,000
Medical Bills/yr ( 2500/yr/person) 137,500,000
percentage on disability of those not working .5
total on disability 4125
yearly amount total/yr/person on disability 12,000
year disability payments 49,500,000

Total lost to government ( taxes + disability)/year

TOTAL (lost wages+lost goverment taxes/disability payments)/ year
Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,789
    Nice try ..... but based on my stats .... your numbers are not anywhere near accurate (or I am grossly outside the mean)(Which is most likely). Hard to get ahold of a Jellyfish.

Regards,

Bones
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    edited 11/02/2016 - 6:57 AM
    Yea it was just for fun , I am on the extreme low side according to all studies but it still adds up and a lot is guesses. What is your number total cost? The 50 grand / year is assuming its US numbers and even though that's higher than avg I looked at potential also and it didn't seem to far fetched that 15 percent of members who worked made that or could have made later in life.  Super hypothetical not based on much science haha .  But I was hoping people would chime in about what they lose per year compared to pre injury so I could see, I know mine is significantly higher than my average used.  It's significant amount in total (sad face)

Last official statistic I saw was 600 billion per year due to total cost of back issues in US so I figured I was low side.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • advertisement