Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

January 2017 Surgery Buddies

MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,786
Anyone yet??

Bones
advertisement

Comments

• MetalneckMetalneck The Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,786
    I forgot - January is deductible season. (again)?

:(

Bones
  • drkimjddrkimj MarylandPosts: 15
    I have been reading articles on the site and looking at the forums since I was diagnosed on 10/17/16, and this is my first post.  I am having a 4-level ACDF (C3-4 through C6-7) on January 10.  I started having peripheral neuro symptoms in mid-September (very mild, but given my career this scared the heck out of me and I went to my doctor right away).  After Xrays, an MRI, and a consult with an orthopedic surgeon, I was diagnosed with the mess listed below.  After the first doc I saw showed me the MRI images, there was never a doubt in my mind that I need surgery, just a matter of finding the right team that I am most comfortable with.  Comfortable being a very, very relative term since this surgery terrifies me!
  • advertisement
  • Okay, so I'm new at this.  But I posted for a surgery buddy for January 2017 too.  I'm have scoliosis surgery on Jan 10th & 11th.  
    Drkimj and Kstrong - I am not having any (planned) surgery this month - but do please consider me a surgery buddy!!
    Kstrong .... can you tell us a bit more about what you are scheduled for??

Regards,

MN
  • Metalneck - hey thank you so much for your support!  I'm having scoliosis surgery.  Two separate surgeries back to back.  Jan 10th - the surgeons are going thru the front (my abdomen) to stabilize my sacrum & pelvis.  Next day, the 11th I get the T1 down to my sacrum.  It's T1 or T2, not sure but what's one vertebrae right?   It's gigantic surgery.  I've had a c-section for my son back in 93 (seriously I thought what the heck do women complain about? I thought it was a piece of cake!). Had a hysterectomy because that dr thought that would relieve my back pain.  I know, hilarious, right?!  Wasn't funny to me now that I look back on this, but technically per UCLA docs, I've needed scoliosis surgery since I was 12.  I was already a surgical candidate at that age.  55 plus thoracic curve & lumbar and a small little curve on my tailbone that the surgeon I'm seeing, he is one of the top docs in the country, says he has to fix which is why I get it all the way down.  I had an operation on my right broken ankle when I was 17 & my tonsils out when I was 18 and I'd rather do those surgeries 10 more times each to avoid these two.  I know it's time.  I know it's what has to be done.  But as hard as I try it's hard to digest what's going to happen to my body next week!  My surgery was moved up 4 months because they had a cancellation.  I'm glad for that - but yet having lots of mental trouble with it.  I'm visualizing the final outcome but it's still very scary to me.  I like sleeping.  Because I don't know I have pain with my scoliosis and I don't have to think about my surgeries beginning in 8 days.  
  • advertisement
  • Hi, am new here too, having revision lumbar decompression and fusion at l4/5 on 12th jan, would love to have a surgery buddy :-)
    Kstrong - I saw the scoliosis on your avatar before I read a word - May I ask how many years young/old you currently are??  I've done the multiple surgeries over multiple days thing ...... its not really much fun :(
    Stay STRONG you are tough stuff !!!

Warmest Regards,

MN
    Dreamchaser - Lucky you ...... its my month to help the surgical buddies group.  I am hopeful others will join in.  But till then then Please ...... feel free to talk amongst yourselves also !!!

I'll be around also.

Regards,

MN
  • Thanks MN and apologies kstrong, initially posted before reading your post.  I know what you mean, for the past month all I've been thinking of is how I'm going to be after the surgery, I've not given a though to the actual surgery until the past couple of days. My surgery is the day after yours, and 2 days after drkimj, we can all get through this together  :D
    Well some light reading will help pass the time(s) ---------------> http://www.spine-health.com/seek?query=presurgery
    And after --------------> http://www.spine-health.com/seek?query=post+surgery+

Dates again??  I'll start a calendar.

MN 
advertisement