Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

9 days Post ACDF, advice on pillows/sleeping?

Hi,
I am 9 days Post-op from 5/6- 6/7 ACDF and doing pretty good. However , I CANNOT get comfortable in any sort of sleeping position. i have tried multiple pillows, sleeping in the recliner and neither works. When I do fall asleep in bed, I wake up 5 hours later and cannot get back to sleep because I am so uncomfortable.

I am thinking about buying one  of those wedge pillows that will elevate me. I don't know if anyone has tried one of these?

All I know is that I'm missing out on some very important sleep. I tend to sleep on my back or my side. But when I wake up after sleeping on my back I have very bad headaches and shoulder pain. If I try to sleep on my side, my head feels like it's too heavy.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Trying to stay positive
advertisement

Comments

• I know you've tried multiple pillows (but just in case...) - what works for me is an old pillow that is really flat - while lying on my back. Even the fairly thin one I was using before surgery (C5/6 fusion in june) hurt the tops of my shoulders. I also have to play around with my arm/shoulder positions - though this is partly because of an old upper back injury.  I also only put my head on the pillow, not my neck. 

Good luck!! (Also you are still very early on, so hopefully this will get better over time...)
  • Thanks! I'm a little confused though, because I know we're supposed to be elevated, but I cannot do it. I am going to try to sleep on my side tonight on a much flatter pillow and see how it goes.
    Trying to stay positive
  • advertisement
  • Did your surgeon tell you that? I wasn't told anything about being elevated. I also had a neck collar for the first 5 weeks that I had to sleep in. I'm not sure, but I would think if you side sleep then you want to be careful with a flat pillow as it might end up bending your neck downwards... 
  • RickallenRRickallen MichiganPosts: 91
    I was told to sleep on my side with a pillow in between my knees.or on my back with a pillow in under my knees.I tos and turn so I know how hard it is.extra pillows helps a lot to put up under head .
  • I think the point of elevation is to help with the swelling? I can't sleep in a collar, I've tried both. The soft collar digs in to the back of my neck and makes it ten tiimes worse. The hard collar creates pressure as well. What I tried the past few nights is using my regular pillow and sleeping on my back (which I usually do) then, I usually wake up on my side. The height of the pillow keeps my neck fairly  neutral. I have been sleeping much better. It also helps that I don't move much in my sleep.
    TWO weeks today!!! I see my Dr on Friday.
    Trying to stay positive
  • advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,579
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Glad you seem to be getting the sleeping sorted! hope the drs visit went well.
  • What worked for me was propping myself up with pillows behind me and under my arms. I am 7 months recovery from my 3 surgery Posterior Laminectomy with fusion C4-7 and I still sleep in a soft collar. Sleeping is the hardest part of my recovery ! Good Luck !
    Tracy~
  • I use a body pillow-it's like a big horse shoe. Pretty useful imo.:)
advertisement