Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Had microdiscectomy 4 weeks ago and need to take. 4 hr flight is it safe?

Hi fellow back pain sufferers

so I had my second microdiscechtomy 4 weeks ago. I need to take a 4 hour flight back home. Door to door its probably going to be around 9 hours thanks to security check etc etc. I am really scared I might put pressure on my disc by having to be out for 9 hours. Last four weeks I have only been in bed with getting up every hour for 10-20 mins max. So any suggestions on how I can go through this flight without hurting my back would be really helpful. Or should I just postpone? 

Thanks in advance for your suggestions 
advertisement

Comments

• SteveRSSteveR ColoradoPosts: 4
    I was about 6 weeks post op from my microdiscectomy when I took a 3 hour flight. I made the mistake of not taking any ibuprofen or tylenol before the flight and tried to catch up to the pain about midway through. It was not a fun experience and I was paying for that the next few days in leg pain.

Moving around the airport felt fine (it was even helpful) and it was just the sitting in the airplane seat that did me in. If I had better prepared getting ahead of the pain I think it would have been much better. I also wish I would have brought a movie or something to keep my mind off the little bit of pain so I didn't move around a ton and make it worse. 
  • asif030978aasif030978 Singapore Posts: 5
    Thanks Steve. But is there a chance of making the Conditon worse like a re herniation or something or is it just a temporary thing 
  • advertisement
  • SteveRSSteveR ColoradoPosts: 4
    I can't imagine the discomfort of sitting would directly cause a re-herniation (but obviously defer to your doctor's instruction). I'd be more worried about having to lift and carry heavy luggage. For me, the pain of sitting on the plane was just a temporary annoyance, but a significant one none the less.