Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Need Advice! Surgery Monday, illness

I am scheduled for a TLIF on Monday. I caught a cold on Wednesday and today I am just miserable with tons of sinus congestion. I am not sure if I should go to the clinic and try to get an antibiotic or not. I was told no NSAID's, Blood thinners etc...Has anyone been sick this close to surgery???
advertisement

Comments

• dalewarren123ddalewarren123 Michigan, USAPosts: 104
    Call your surgeon  see what they say.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,419
    Yes, definitely call your surgeon.  They dont want you going into a surgery with any type of cold and/or infection.
    I had a nasal cold a couple of days before my first shoulder replacement.  They cancelled it for two weeks.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • juniperjjuniper coloradoPosts: 39
    So I ended up taking nyquil which didn't help much, sudafed which helped a little, nasal rinses and finally got some antibiotics which helped a ton. I was on them for a full 2 days before surgery and it certainly took away my sinus headache and some of the congestion.  The anesthesiologist said that even with a cold they will do surgery. That when i wake up the cold may be worse for a few days but there were no reasons to delay the surgery. I woke up after surgery not thinking about my cold at all hahahaha.
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 996

Juniper...

Aside from your cold how did your surgery go..??

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
advertisement