Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Back......again. >8(

Well, I really hate to be back to this website.    I ruptured my L4/L5 disk in November 2013.  I got to the point where I couldn't stand or walk for more than 10 minutes.   Fortunately, sitting down relieved the pain.   I tried oral steroids, epidurals, and physical therapy but ended up having microdiscectomy surgery in March 2014.   Relief was immediate and things were perfect until now.   About a week ago, I started having the same symptoms although not quite as painful the first time around.   I didn't do anything obvious to hurt my back......it just started happening again.    Going to try to get into my doctor to try the oral steroid treatment again.    Very frustrating!

March 20, 2014 - L4/L5 Laminectomy and Microdiscectomy
advertisement

Comments

• catapamcatapam AustriaPosts: 157
    From my experience I would say that we are doing something wrong and this is the cause of first herniation, second herniation and so on.
    Some people had a stronger back some weaker
    Some exercises are simply not good. Some posture are not good. Too much sitting in flexion position starring down to our laptop.
    Then first surgery, then second, then spine become unstable due to previous surgeries and then fusion is coming with metal bars, cages, screws and so on.
    In my opinion not too much attention is on prevention 
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971
    edited 01/03/2017 - 5:42 AM

Qman...

A lot of people reherniate after a micro discectomy... you're not the only one.  Like catapam noted above you likely need to make some lifestyle adjustments to help stop stressing your back.  It can be a vicious cycle...  the more your doctor removes of your disc the less stable/solid your spine is to the point where you end up needing fusion at some point. The disc does NOT heal or grow back like a cut on your finger... it will only scar over... once part of the disc is cut away it's gone forever. The steroid treatment will likely temporarily cut down the inflammation... but better yet look at your lifestyle and maybe consider some changes.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • advertisement
  • Thanks for your advice and words of wisdom.  I tried to be cautious after surgery.   I'm nature what might be the cause but I do need to do some soul searching for lifestyle changes to benefit my back.    I went to my family doctor Friday and the current plan is to try some oral steroids and physical therapy.  I also bought an inversion table to try my own traction at home.  The doctor recommended it

• Has anybody ever overcome a ruptured disc without surgery?     I just finished a round of oral steroids and I still can't walk very far.   Heading to OHare airport tomorrow so I know that will be difficult

advertisement