Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Microdiscectomy or discectomy...any difference?

im having a diskectomy (that's how it is spelled and the brochure) S1/L5 in two weeks.  I thought they were the same but apparently not? Are they used interchangeably and  is there a stark difference in what are the pros and cons? 
advertisement

Comments

• AWMAAWM NebraskaPosts: 75
    As I understand it,  the result of each procedure is essentially the same.  Both remove portions of the damaged disc.  Where they differ is how the surgeon gains access to the disc.  In general, the microdiscectomy has a much smaller surgical incision, and equipment like cameras are used to enhance what the surgeon can see.  A discectomy would possibly have a larger incision.

Why one may be used over the other is a question for your doctor.  I would suspect the microdiscectomy is used when possible because of the smaller incision.

I am not a doctor.  This is just my understanding.  I have had both procedures.  The discectomy was used on me when I had multiple discs being treated (L3 - S1).  The microdiscectomy was used when I had only one level treated (L5 - S1).
    Dec. 28, 2015 - Laminectomy L3 - S1 (Due to congenital stenosis.)
    Dec. 28, 2015 - Discectomy L3-L4; L4-L5; L5-S1 (L3-L4 & L4-L5 were bulging and L5-S1 was herniated.) 
    May 20, 2016 - Selective Nerve Root Block Injection L5 Nerve Root.
    July 15, 2016 - Epidural Steroid Injection L5 & S1 Nerve Roots.
    Oct. 31, 2016 - Microdiscectomy L5 - S1