Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Any suggestions on other treatments after failed microdiscectomy

Hello everyone, I had a microdiscetomy back in Sept 2016, for lower back pain, felt better the first 2 weeks then pain came back.not only in lower back but also had sciatica in both legs, the sciatica was not present before surgery.I have dealt with back pain for over 20 yrs, I was sent for an mri back in 1995 and it showed a herniated disc l5s1.I had my first epidural in 1995 and it helped for a long time, I would have pain but it was manageable with just ibuprofen.Then this past April 2016 the pain got stronger in my lower back but no sciatica.So I tried idd therapy and inversion table but that was only temporary relief.So I went to see orthopedic and he sent me for an mri, but I knew it was the herniated disc from 1995, but anyway I went and had the mri and it came back as a broad based disc bulge with central protrusion, So he offered to do an epidural, and I turned it down thinking that it would just be a band aid  on the problem, I knew that it was the l5s1 disc problem that I had 20 yrs ago, and it had probably gotten worse, so I figured the best option would be a microdiscetomy which was done in Sept 2016...I was wrong on that one...after surgery felt good up until 2 weeks had gone by, the pain had gotten worse.I not only had pain in lower back but now I had the dreaded sciatic pain in legs.So I gave it a few weeks called the surgeon and he said it would pass, but it didnt.So he started me on PT about 6 weeKS after surgery.did the PT and still it didn't help.So I went to Pain management Dr and he did nerve block to no avail, then I had a epidural on l5 s1, did not help, but he did give me gabapentin and hydrocodone rx, but I'm a truck driver, and have been outta work since Sept 2016, and I can't be taking hydrocodone for pain, for fear of flunking a random drug test and losing my job.I'm asking if anyone knows of any other treatments that are available, that I could try?
advertisement