Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

After surgery

How long did you wait after surgery ro go in for appts like dental checkups and for women annual pap?
I just had my dental cleaning in November so it got me thinking about how long after surgery to wait since I make sure I'm in there every 6 months. ( I got my dental hygiene degree lol so I am very careful with my teeth even though I never did more than subbing and realized my back couldn't take it and there really were no jobs either)
Anyway I like to plan things and thought maybe someone could tell me their experience.
Thanks 

advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 996

Rae1112...

I don't know if there is a specified time period post-op but I do know that anytime you do go to the dentist post-op you should take some antibiotics beforehand as it seems you can develop serious infections in your body due to certain bacteria in your mouth being stirred up that can react with the metal hardware in your body.  There doesn't seem to be 100% agreement on this point amongst various doctors but there are LOTS of post on this forum and elsewhere that discuss this topic... and most seem to conclude it's better to be safe than sorry.  Just search "dentist antibiotics" and you will find lots of discussions both for and against.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 646
    I had to cancel my dental appointment that I had previously made, was scheduled a month after my L4-5 fusion surgery.  There was no way I could have been able to have layed there, or get myself back up and out of the chair. I could still barely do much at that time.

But a few months later I did, and even then it was rough on me...but I didn't have to take anything for it, was just a cleaning. I called my surgeon's office beforehand and they told me I didn't need to take anything because of my fusion. But I also had been on minocyclin for some time prescribed by my dermatologist. 

I also asked my dentist and they said I didn't need to be on any antibiotics. I was a little apprehensive about it, having the cage spacer, rods and screws.

But I would always recommend that someone find out for themselves before going to the dentist; asking surgeon and dentist.
  • advertisement
  • rae1112rae1112 Michigan Posts: 147
    Thank you for the responses. I guess I will have to wait and see how I feel and go from there. When I was in for my cleaning in November I told her I wasn't going to make another appt right then because I was having surgery March 9, so I will just call when I know I'm feeling up to it. I'm having fusion from t4 to sacrum so I'm guessing it'll be at  least a few months before I would be able to sit there that long. Same with my pap and laying flat on that table. 
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,494
    i'm glad i read this, i have to cancel an appointment-no way after a 10 level fusion am i getting my teeth done in 2 weeks!  LOL.  i always book my next appointment at the last one, so.....i'll call on monday when they are open again.
    i'm not even supposed to passenger in a car before end of march!
    Kathy
    Veritas-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• JameyhJJameyh Atlanta, Ga.Posts: 98
    So glad I happened to read this post.  I have added this to my list of questions for the surgeon at my post op in 10 days.  
  • advertisement
advertisement