Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Using a Walker after surgery question

I am going to start gathering supplies for after surgery, and wondered if I need a Walker with or without wheels? 

My house is a trilevel so it doesn't seem like I'd use it all that much since my living room kitchen and dining room are on the main floor but the bathroom and bedrooms on another and then laundry and family room on the lower level. But I have someone who is giving one to me that has both one with and without wheels so I may as well try one.

Oh and I'm having fusion for scoliosis T4 to sacrum. 
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,562
    Ask your doctor what they believe will be the best way for you to get around at home.   I have used a walker for several of my post surgical times ..  Doctor told me whatever I felt most stable with.  You do what to avoid a fall
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • JameyhJJameyh Atlanta, Ga.Posts: 98
    My insurance also provided a walker but I only used it in the hospital and for about a week at home.  It had 2 wheels in the back....
  • advertisement
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

rae1112...

A walker is a real must at first with multi-level lumbar fusion surgery.  With or without wheels... whichever you feel more comfortable with... and is stable for you.  I personally don't like the wheels... it just doesn't feel as solid.  I used one for about the first 2 weeks after my fusion surgeries.  

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • BitzicatBBitzicat PhoenixPosts: 74
    I borrowed a walker with tennis balls on the back legs.  It kept getting stuck in the carpet and between carpet and floor surface.  Ordered one with 8" wheels.  It worked better for walking outside; more for support "just in case" especially if no one goes with you.  You CAN get dizzy...  really needed for about 2-3 weeks.
  • rae1112rae1112 Michigan Posts: 147
    Thank you for all the responses. A neighbor of my mom's was able to lend me 2, one with and one without wheels so I'll be able to decide which works best. 
  • advertisement
  • I got sent home with one following heart surgery. I used it for only a few days and had home PT come in to get me up and moving. Upon your discharge ask about home PT, it may be covered. They showed me how to navigate stairs (less the walker) and how to use the walker outside.
    Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
  • rae1112rae1112 Michigan Posts: 147
    My Dr doesn't believe in PT, he told me so. He just wants me to walk walk walk as he said. It would be nice if someone came to the house but with my insurance I pay for everything out of pocket besides Office visits until I hit my deductible. That's why I bought all of my medical equipment online, cheaper that way.  But at least I will have my husband home for about 3 weeks, and after that my mom can come anytime. I will just have to motivate myself to get up and walk. 
  • I suggest that anyone going into the hospital, seek out a social worker and talk to them. Sometimes things are provided with surgery and they can talk to your insurance if you give them permission.

Diagnosis: Thoracic facet syndrome & cervical and thoracic radiculopathy from car accident trauma.
advertisement