Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot

In this Discussion

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Hello,

My name is Alyssa and I'm new to this forum stuff but I just wanted to reach out and get other people's opinions on something I'm going through.

Here's my story..

I'm 23 years old and I've been dealing with lower back pain for about 2 years. Recently, it's progressively gotten worse. I went to Detroit 2 weeks ago and my upper thigh area was numb the whole ride home. If I drive for more than 25 minutes that's what I'm dealing with.. It doesn't shoot down my leg, yet. 
I got an MRI, everything was fairly normal, a little disc problem, but the abnormality that it showed was a cyst by my spine. They said they weren't going to associate it with the numbness in my legs because the numbness isn't down my whole leg. I had a few different options and they were all basically medication. I'm not one to take pills, I've always hated it so when they told me those were really my only options besides keeping up with my physical therapy exercises at home, I was a little upset. I know I'm not a doctor, but I just feel like I needed a second opinion about what I'm going through.. I feel like my numbness isn't just coming from nothing. It's so bad when I'm at work, sometimes when I reach over a patients bed it's all numb, or when my husband gives me a back massage and it's a certain part of my spine, just numb. The Physician's Assistant told me that surgery would be the last resort option if none of the above work. I've been on muscle relaxers and I just feel like everything they're wanting me to do is just the TEMPORARY things. With the job that I do, (PCA) on Spine & Ortho floor, I cannot continue working with the pain and numbness that I'm going through.. 

If anyone has any advice, or same experience anything is welcome. I'm not sure if I should just follow my doctor's orders or get a second opinion.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Alyssa!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi, Alyssa!

I can (as I'm sure many other members do) totally relate to your feelings of wanting to be healed rather than putting "band-aids" on whatever the problem is.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with seeking a second, third...even tenth opinion if that is what will ultimately guide you to a successful outcome for relief of your symptoms!!  A large percentage of the people you take care of as a PCA probably didn't arrive in your care until they'd exhausted a lot of other treatment options first...

I'd like to welcome you to the forums!  Please click on the following link for some helpful information to get you started!

Welcome to Spine-Health 

Kimmy72, Spine-health Moderator
    Firm believer in PMA!