Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

7 weeks post op but sever foot pain keeping me from walking

Hello everyone.  I had an ALIF/PLIF on Dec 5, 2016.   I have not been on my anti arthritic drug Mobic since Nov 11 due to pre-op instructions.  And I am unable to resume the med until March 5th because my neurosurgeon says I need the inflammation to help my fusion at L4-S1.     My question is to those of you with arthritis, how did you manage to walk the amount that is necessary?  I read posts on here from people who started walking only weeks after surgery.  And my surgeon wants me walking 2 miles per day by April.  My feet and ankles hurt so badly that I feel like the bones are broken.   I took another's advice and went to a specialty shoe store to have my high arch evaluated and purchased a pre-made arch support, a Brooks walking shoe and a flat slip on sandal to wear at while at home.  I am not to go barefoot anymore.    I started walking yesterday and the pain I have in my feet is terrible.  Can anyone give me advice on how you may have solved this problem?   Any comments will be appreciated... Thanks in advance
advertisement

Comments

• hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 971

JoAnn...

Maybe talk to your doctor about using one of the available biologic drugs (like Enbrel... biologic is short for Biological Response Modifier... which is a relatively new class of arthritis treatment drugs) to help manage your arthritis.  It's not a NSAID... so it should be safe to use during your fusion process.  After my second lumbar fusion I continued to take Enbrel with no issues.  You can google or wikipedia... Enbrel to learn more.

Harry - 65 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
  • JameyhJJameyh Atlanta, Ga.Posts: 98
    Thanks Harry, in addition I have spent the day googling arthritic feet and ankles.  My hips hurt too when I walk.  I think I may need an evaluation from orthopedics if the store can't provide me with a better orthotic.  With the lupus and arthritis autoimmune stuff, my poor feet and ankles suffer.  And its a shame because my back now feels amazing post op.  Thanks for the input
  • advertisement