Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

Are MD's No Longer Interested in "Thinking Through" possible etiologies of Upper Right Back Pain?

Of course with today's technology, testing is often essential but has this caused MD's to not  "think through" signs and symptoms to  make "educated guesses" on various medical issues? As a Health Care Professional, I wrack my brain when attending to a patient's acute condition that we are unable to pinpoint the cause of s/s even while waiting for testing  Suffering sudden unexplained severe back pain above/at the  RIGHT scapula  to neck base at spinal column since 1/9/2017,  feeling about 4 inches wide, I had no idea what to do since the pain was severe and sharp without burning or throbbing. One MD suggested typical muscle issue suggesting exercises. The primary MD dissented and  believes it is a disc issue due to being over 40 yo...that might go away in a couple of weeks and return in a couple of years. When describing initiated actions which totally resulted in experiencing NO PAIN whatsoever, there seemed to be no look of interest or curiosity as to what this might mean .i.e., When lifting left arm placing palm of hand on head, the pain is GONE. No pain at 8am..moderate to severe by afternoon or night. No pain yesterday at all. However, I woke up with pain today.When pushing hard with fingertip of left hand in small spaces approx 6 inches? below base of neck, along right spinal column, the pain is dramatically less or 0. However, I cannot actually see exactly what is being depressed.  I do not expect magic  or even a conclusion...Does no MD perform any tips or tricks to gain some clue of what might (or might not) be going on? Maybe there are no manipulations that can provide information on a possible etiology for the pain? The usual turning head to right, lowering head to neck. Finally, having an important out of town 3 day assignment that required my undivided attention on 1/12, my primary ordered Prednisone 20 BID X 3 days (+Naproxen) for temporary relief..I had no pain during that time. Exercise? No exercise? I have not done anything since 1/15 and have had no previous trauma. I am sure the MRI will come soon but REALLY???  Many areas of medicine have s/s that "may" include or exclude certain conditions at least at the beginning of the assessment that push us in certain directions before test results.. Thanks for reading. 
advertisement

Comments

• jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 745
    MDs do have a couple of tricks. Xrays and MRIs. They rarely touch patients anymore. In my case anyway. My PT does that. GLTU
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello bischons9 !
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement