Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Chronic lumbar pain

A friend of mine recommended this website to me as he thought I would likely benefit from it. I'll get right to it then. I am a 31 year old male suffering from chronic lumbar pain. It's has progressively been getting worse as the years go on. Besides the back pain I also get severe sharp pain that radiates to my left buttock, it comes waves and stops me in my tracks. I recently got a mri and like some help on what the results mean. Here it is.

There is degenerative disc disease at L5-S1 with disc desiccation
and loss of normal bright T2 signal intensity. Broad-based
central/left paracentral disc protrusion is present, indenting

the thecal sac. Minimal right neural foraminal narrowing 

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,643
    Hello jonnyboy04 
    There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
    This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test 

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Please click on link for information about Spine-health
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thank you for your comment. I know that this site is not full of medical doctors, but I just help with understanding these results. I don't understand all this medical jargon. And my doctor hasn't really been helping me understand it either, all he really said was to "live with it" which I will never except that. No one should ever just live with this kind of pain
  • advertisement
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,060
    If my doctor told me to live with it, I would take my MRI and get a second opinion.
    I had that happen once, never again.
    As a member, I cannot give you any advice on your MRI, sorry. But I can tell you what I do when I don't understand a medical term. Go to the search box at the top right hand corner of this page, key in what you're looking for. You can access articles and videos, wonderful information.
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • MeyattMMeyatt New YorkPosts: 47
    I'm wondering what sort of symptoms that you have otherwise? In the experience of most members here, you'll find people with true neurogenic pain from degenerative / collapsed / bulging discs almost always experience leg pain and weakness with some amount of low back pain.

Pain into the buttock isn't always sciatica from a disc bulge either, it can also be associated with things like piriformis syndrome and anterior. Have you been to phyiscal therapists before?
  • Thank you for your comment. And yes I have been to physical therapy twice throughout this whole ordeal. Besides a sharp pain in my left buttock,  The worst thing I would say is the weakness is my leg. I work out a lot and I do a lot of leg exercises, and my right thigh is gaining muscle and is way bigger than my left. When I flex my leg muscles my left thigh is literally flat and won't flex. And my right will.
  • advertisement
  • MeyattMMeyatt New YorkPosts: 47
    I'm not a doctor, but I would wonder if having a conductivity test (like an EMG) might be something to talk with your doctor about, it can help assess the amplitude of your muscle contraction and can distinguish if your nerve response into certain muscles, particularly your legs, has somehow diminished. Imagine something like a reflex test, but a lot more substantial.

And when you say thigh, do you mean quadriceps, hamstrings, or both? I'd also wonder if you have something going on with your hips being uneven or one being rotated too far forward / backward. If you're still in physical therapy that might be something worth asking about. Physical therapy should catch stuff like that, but honestly the quality of practitioners seems to vary a lot from place to place.
advertisement