Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

42 year old Police Officer level 3 acdf

First off, I want to thank everyone on here for all the useful information. It has been a great support. My question is about recovery. I can not find much info from police officers who have had this surgery. I am 8 weeks post op and still have neck pain, numbness in my right hand, (prior to surgery all numbness and weakness was on left arm), right shoulder pain, and strangely now numbness in my right buttocks. I have gone through the weeks of PT and have my 8 week check up this week. Is there any Police Officers here that can relate to this surgery? The condition I am in now, I know I am not even close to going back full duty. I have been on light duty (desk) for a little over a week. I cant even think about putting all my duty gear on yet.  Co workers are now starting to ask about medical retirement. Is there anyone that has info on if they could go back to full duty? I am not sure how long my department will keep me on light duty. Not sure if I should start thinking about medical retirement now. Thanks for any and all information.
advertisement

Comments

• I wouldn't get so down on yourself so quick, you are only 8 weeks post op, it takes a while to heal after a major surgery. I was in a bad car accident and had to get a spinal fusion, I am 19 years old and 11 weeks post op, I'm still not able to return back to work just yet & my fracture in my neck is still not fully healed if that tells you how long it takes. 
  • You are only 8 weeks post op, I wouldn't get so down on yourself for not being able to return back to work fully just yet. You had a major surgery. I'm pretty young, 19 so my bones heal pretty fast & I had to have a spinal fusion after a bad car wreck I was in, that was 11 weeks ago and I'm still not able to return back to my job, the fracture in my neck is still not healed fully either but I can tell it gets better every week! 10 & 1/2 weeks is when I started to feel like my normal self again & was able to get off my pain medicine. 
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,270
    hello hunter23 !
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Hi Hunter23.  I'm a 46 year old police officer and had level 3 acdf (c4-c7) surgery last week.  I don't have the numbness, but can definitely relate to the neck and back pain.  I wish you the best and will be following your progress.  Its probably too soon after the surgery for me to offer much regarding my own experience, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
advertisement