Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Severe pain in neck runs through left sholder blade. Pinched nerve?

I have had this pain that runs from my neck to my left shoulder blade for months some days hurts worse than others. But for past week now I can't turn head and barely use left arm without wanting to die!  Is this a pinched nerve?  My current Dr wants 2 write scripts 4 pain meds & muscle relaxers. I don't want pills I want issue fixed!! Friend said pinched nerve & possible injections of some sort &/or surgery to fix?? Anyone have any ideas if nerve is issue or how to get pain relief without taking pills except maybe aspirin or Tylenol I don't want pills! No Narcotics! !
Suggestions??
advertisement

Comments

• Hi. I'm going through the same thing. Have a pinched nerve. I had shooting and stabbing pain in shoulder blade (left) upper shoulder area. Numb fingers, sore wrist (referred pain). I couldn't sit and could only stand for short periods of time. Laying on my back was my only relief. This all started 1 month ago. And I can't forget the light tension headaches. I did go to a walk in doctor who initially gave me a shot for the pain. I started chiropractic care 2-3 times a week. He recommended therapeutic massage twice a week(deep tissue). After a month I'm dramatically better/although not myself. Still have have discomfort in my shoulder muscles. I've been told picnched nerves & muscle spasms take time. I also put heat daily (neck&shoulder area). For pain I take 2 Advil & 1 Tylenol twice a day. I consider myself 80%. Seems like the last 20% will take time. Hope this helped !
  • Have you had a MRI?  No one knows anything without imaging. An extremely pinched nerve is going to show up on your MRI as severe foraminal stenosis.  I got mine fixed surgically and all the pain in my neck and shoulder went away. Surgeon said my left C6 was one of the worst he had ever operated on in his 30 years and that there was no room at all for the nerve.
    C6-C7 ACDF - January 20, 2016
    Shoulder surgery - August 2, 2016
    Interlaminar laminotomy, mesial facetectomy and foraminotomy bilateral at C5-C6 and unilateral left at C6-C7 and bilateral C6-C7 facet fusion - December 7, 2016

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 12,230
    I think the first thing is to get a  formal diagnosis.  The doctor that is willing to write some scripts.   They had to come up with a diagnosis in order to justify the scripts.   Shoulder/Neck problems can run hand in hand. At times one kicks off the other.  

When the problem is identified, then the solution(s) can come out.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    One common diagnosis tool is muscle relaxers.  When my neck problems started they were relieved for about 5 years by a one time use of muscle relaxers.  That helped confirm what the doctor saw in X Rays and also relieved my symptoms.  The next time, it didn't help at all which confirmed that I was much worse...

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

•  Does the pain go down your arm with numbness, burning, or tingling? I have the same problem from DDD, disc bulges, and possible stenosis and it affects both arms. Muscle relaxers are so helpful for painful spasms related to spinal problems. I understand your concern about taking pills, but it is one of the several tools in conservative treatment. Sometimes the problem will resolve itself in time and meanwhile, the goal is to alleviate symptoms. Others don't get better and need epidural injections, or ultimately surgery in the end. The first step is getting an MRI to help diagnose the problem. 
    Ol' Spiney..Micro-D L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central HNP L4-S1,stenosis, retrolisthesis, EF, facet arthropathy, lumbar& cervical DDD. FBSS- Medtronic pain pump & SCS
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello ccfletch !
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement