Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

New to Site, Help, Scary MRI

I am 56, female.  I see the neurosurgeon in 2 days.  I have never seen one and am nervous.  I am open to surgery as I don't want to keep getting worse.  I am more afraid of becoming wheelchair bound, not able to walk, or no hand grip, bladder incontinence - I have read these things but no nothing of future outcome from this.  This is all new. Symptoms:  currently numb outer toes and goes up leg, mostly left leg, to knee.  Right toes a little numb.  Pinky and 4th fingers somewhat numb.  My neck hurts a lot.  Please help me with this MRI:  Vertebrae: Normal vertebral body height, homogenous marrow signal.  Alignment: Straitening of cervical spine without anterolisthesis or retrolisthesis.  Cord: Normal configuration and signal. Post Fossa: Cerebellar tonsils are normal in position.  C2-C3: A very mild central bulge, no abutment of the cord or central canal stenosis.  Neural foramina are patent bilaterally.   C3-C4: A mild broad-based disc bulge, no abutment of the cord or central canal stenosis.  Neural Foramina are patent bilaterally.  C4-C5: Same as C3-C4.    C5-C6: A broad-based disc bulge flattens the ventral portion of the cord to the right of midline.  Anterior to posterior dimension of the central canal in the midline is 9 mm.  Bony uncovertebral hypertrophy generates narrowing of the lateral recesses bilaterlly as well as the neural foramina.  This is more pronounced on the right.   C6-C7: A broad-based disc bulge approaches but does not abut the cord.  Bony uncovertebral hypertrophy causes bilateral lateral recess ad neural forminal narrowing, more pronounced on right.   C7-T1.  No epidural impressions seen.  IMPRESSION:  Multilevel degenerative changes most pronounced at the C5-C6 and C6-C7 levels as detailed above.
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 9,720
    hello lovecats 

there are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
    this includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test 

the main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

please click on link for information about spine-health
    welcome to spine-health

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Can't anyone give an opinion how bad they think this is and if I should have surgery?
  • advertisement
  • Hi LoveCats

Good to hear you have an appointment in two days and will get the MRI results explained to you.  I had to wait for 6 weeks to get my results on all my MRIs.  It is worrying to read things we don't understand sometimes, but the best person to help you with this is the neurosurgeon.

I have problems at C4/5 and 5/6, but I get numbness in my thumb, forefinger and middle finger at times. We all present in different ways, hence the restrictions on giving medical advice as it could be misleading.  Unfortunately, that area of my back has got to wait as I have more pressing conditions in my lumbar and on the waiting list for double level lumbar fusion at the moment.

I hope you are able to get all the answers from your surgeon.

How did your back issues start, injury, accident or spinal condition?
    AJ 
    AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • Thank you AJGormit for your input.  My cervical issues are just age and genetics I guess.  Degenerative.  Yes, thank you.  I hope to get answers on Tuesday from neurosurgeon, but I hope to hear other opinions too here.  I hope you get better.
  • Good luck on Tuesday.

You may get more responses if you ask about peoples experiences of problems in this area, rather than help with diagnosis of terms.  We cannot offer help with that as it breaks forum rules.

Thanks for wishes, my next appointment for new assessment for surgery is 22nd March.  Hoping to get a date soon as I have been nearly a year, since I was put on the waiting list.

There is so much brilliant information on this site, so maybe while you are waiting for more responses take a look.  You can also search for specific things in the search box in the right hand top corner.
    AJ
    AJGormit

---------------------------------------------------------------

L5/S1 herniation Apr 2013
    nerve root injections Oct 2013
    L5/S1 discectomy Jan 2014
    L5/S1 nerve roo &, facet joint injections & edpidural Jan 2015
    L5/S1 revised discectomy, L4/L5 discectomy & Wallis Inswing Stabilisation L4/L5 May 1st 2015
    L4-S1 TLIF with decompression June 2017
  • advertisement
  • Oh hi, yes, that is what i meant to do, ask for peoples experiences of problems with the same issues I have.  I worded it wrong.  Thank you for pointing that out.   So if anyone can share their experiences with cervical stenosis and whether they had surgery, that would be helpful.  Thank you!!
  • kwarendorfkkwarendorf Posts: 36
    edited 03/10/2017 - 8:50 AM
    Hi LC - My stenosis was lumbar rather than cervical, but I have had surgery twice to correct problems. In both cases the symptom relief was nearly immediate and the recovery pretty easy. Only you can decided when your symptoms have reached an intolerable level and are ruining your quality of life. We all have our own "Enough!" point :)

I understand that the thought of surgery is scary, but the reality is rarely as scary as our thoughts. 

Kyle
  • Thank you Kyle!  I am feeling more confident about surgery.  I will have it in July after I flying to attend a wedding I have already committed to.  I saw the neurosurgeon and I definitely need surgery.  He said i could wait till July.  I have a lot of numbness in toes, up one leg, fingers.  I hope waiting until July is not a mistake.  I need 2 level ACDF - C5 and C6, and C6 and C7.
advertisement