Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Osteoporosis : are jogging and windsurfing really off-bounds for athletic and fit people?

I
am 75 and have been  diagnosed with osteoporosis a few days ago after  a DEXA scan , with a
T-score of -4.2.

I won’t see my doctor for the official verdict
until March 30, because I got a sneak-preview from my medical file at the
hospital , but in the meantime, I’d like to have your comments.

I should stress that I am physically very fit and
practice a number of sports, including windsurfing, lapse swimming, biking,
jogging,  I  have a very strong muscular
build and I wonder if this doesn’t significantly reduce the risk of fractures
as compared to a “ normal” person .I

In fact, in one of the previous, now closed threads,
somebody, not even osteoporotic but only osteopenic , reported vertebral
 fractures with excruciating pain just with " normal"
movements and , if I recall, when waking up.   

Given the fact that osteoporosis doesn’t develop
overnight, I am sure that, at least for the last two years, I already practiced
these sports without being aware of being osteoporotic  and yet with no   problems. Good indication that maybe I
can continue with prudence, possibly wearing a lumbar support brace designed
for sports.  

The Dexa scan , based on three  moderate compression fractures at T3 and
T8, and a possible compression fracture at L1,,  indicates a high risk of fractures., but it is
possible that these fractures occurred as a conseqquence of a bad fall on the
ice 2 years ago.,from which I fully recovered in a couple of months to the
point that I was able to fully resume thereafter all my sport activities ,
including windsurfing. .  

My point is : if osteoporosis is the cause  my 3
fractured  vertebrae in the course of time ( T3, T8 and L1) I would
have felt it each time , probably with pain,  like
I did when I fell. But I never did, unless osteoporosis-induced fractures can
occur without any pain. Is it possible?  If
these fractures are not attributable to O.P. then may be the risk  of futher fractures is less. . 

Bottom line is it really unsafe to continue  jogging,  even windsurfing  ?  I do the latter very
leisurely, sat low speed and moderate winds and  If
I fall, I fall on the water !   

Maybe a lumbar support brace  will do , also considering
the fact that the neoprene wet-suit along with the cushioned lumbar harness
holding the sail may already provide significant support.

As I said, I’ll ask my doctor, but I have a feeling
that most doctors ,to be on the safe  (for
me and for them..) ,go” by the book”,  also
because they don’t  know
enough about windsurfing to assess the level of risk.

Thank you for your comments 

Ittiandro

advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 8,285
    edited 03/11/2017 - 2:32 PM
    Hello Ittiandro
    There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
    This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test 

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Please visit http://www.osteoporosis-health.com/

Please click on the link for useful information Welcome to Spine-Health

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • ittiandroiittiandro Montreal Posts: 2

Thank you Liz

I realize that there  are  no medical professionals  on this forum allowed to provide any type of medical information , including the analysis or interpretation of diagnostic tests. 

Perhaps I expanded too much on the medical side and I gave you the impression that I wanted to have " medical information" of the type you are not qualified to provide.

What I wanted to know is simply:

1. Do, or can, to anybody's knowledge, spinal compression fractures occur without the individual's knowledge, entirely painless, to the point that only an MRI or a DEXA scan can pick them up?

Maybe somebody, not necessarily a doctor , has had his own experience and can share it on this forum, without trespassing the medical rules governing it,

2. Are any of this forum's  members familiar with lumbar support braces , their effectiveness, in their own ( not the doctors') experience, including exercise and the practice of sports? Again, if somebody has ever worn them, the forum should allow him to share his/her own experience to the community benefit,  without fear of infringing the rules.

Thanks anyway

Ittiandro

• advertisement