Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Totally confused

I was told I have osteoarthritis in my right knee. I have been taking cortisone shots for the past year. My lower back, on right side, recently began hurting. I also felt pain in butocks, down my right leg, and across my foot. Described the symptoms to my orthopedic doctor and he said it sounds like my back. He prescribed me an anti inflamatory medication (steroid) and said he would like to refer me to his colleague, who is a PA and specalizes in back and spine problems. Now the pain in my right knee is cranking up, and the back which started to calm down, is raging. I am so confused, and don't know what is the original source of pain. Should I have my orthopedic specialist refer me for an MRI?  I am in so much pain, and I do not want to be bounced around from one doctor to another.



  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,521
    Many times before a spinal problem is identified you may have to see several different doctors.  Each one would perform some clinical examinations.  That can be a big help in deciding the next step.  

    I would not ask your orthopedic doctor to refer you for a mri.   Its always better to have the doctor make those decisions.  The way the insurance companies work today, the doctors have to provide detailed rationale as to why they believe a MRI (or other diagnostic test ) is warranted.   I would just ask the doctor:  "What the next step would be , how can you isolate my problem?"
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 6,354
    dal3325_17, welcome!!
    while we are waiting on others to respond, please click on the link below for more useful information.
    welcome to spine health

    Veritas-Health Forum Moderator
    Please read my  Medical History
  • advertisement
Sign In or Register to comment.