Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Getting out of the house

I'm 4 weeks tomorrow from t4 to l5 fusion and I wonder when did everyone else start getting out of the house, going to the store or out to eat or anything really? Not driving myself but just doing anything. Lol.  I'm already getting tired of the same thing every day. 
I'm not sure how long I could handle it at this point just wonder if it would hurt. 

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,632
    That really is a question you need to ask your doctor.  Everyone is different, different types of surgery, healing, etc

Just for a sample and nothing to really make it what should happen   ( my surgeries )

Week 1   All the surgical pain, not doing a lot
    Week 2   Started moving slowly around the house, careful not to violate any of the limitations and restrictions
    Week 3   Started Physical Therapy , having someone drive me   (uncomfortable just being a passenger)
    Week 6   After the doctors approval, started to drive
    Week 12  Started to feel better, gaining strength, doing more, but still remembering the rules

Also depending on the type of surgery, any time you get out, you may need the help of a Walker or Rollator  or  cane 
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • rae1112rae1112 Michigan Posts: 147
    Yeah week 3 I had to go to urgent care for my swollen lip and it was not fun to ride on the car at all. First time since coming home. I feel like I've improved some since then, but its hard to say. I still tire very easy. 
    My 6 week checkup will be on the 21st and maybe they will advise me about all that then. I think the discharge papers said riding in the car on as needed basis or something like that. I'll have to look it over again. 
    My surgeons office isn't very good about returning calls. 
  • advertisement
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 427
    so i started being a passenger at 6 weeks.  i was FINALLY cleared to drive at 3 months post surgery.  i think i went for my first grocery shopping (literally just pointed at things on the shelf so DH could put them in the cart) was at 8 weeks....and i was exhausted afterwards!  going out for dinner started at week 10.  my surgeon was very adamant about me doing things that DO NOT hurt. LOL.  and to be patient.  driving for me is still not "easy" at 15 weeks.  i can sit about an hour in the car before i am done and have to stop and get out and walk a bit.  but every surgeon and every surgery and every person is different......
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, decompressions, facet joints removed. cages L4-5, L5-S1, rods, screws, scoliosis reduced to 0*.
    June 2015: Inflam facet arthrosis L1-S, pars fractures L5 and L2, 70* lateral scoliosis with 110* rotational scoliosis on reduction, facet cysts with nerve impingements bilaterally L2-3, L3-4, L4-5, spinal stenosis L2-L4

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,632
    Getting out.....
    At first you seem to be so anxious to get our of the house and towards the freedom of everything else.  Sounds so wonderful and at times it is.   But in reality, so many times when we stop outside and do just a little bit more, we wind up suffering the flareup!.

I say this because what is most important is to always listen to the rules and limitations setup by your doctor.  Even when you follow these to a Tee, you still might suffer from pain.  But, I can tell you from personal experiences, IF you IGNORE all the rules and regulations and just march ahead without much guidance, there is a good chance you will wind up with a flare up!
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Ron, I'm only 3 weeks out but I think what you said is spot on.  Follow the guidelines. I've begun thinking of anything outside the guidelines set for me as "risky behavior" and keep that in mind. I do get outside each day to enjoy the fresh air and view my garden, but sometimes that only means walking to the chair and sitting in it for an hour. Sometimes it means walking around but not always. It's not easy to find that balance of letting yourself heal naturally and pushing it just a bit. We really need to listen to our bodies and our little inner voice. Setbacks are rough and can be dangerous. Follow the guidelines and be patient. Literally, one foot in front of the other.
  • advertisement