Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

2 wks post op felt great, and did too much,today feels like week 1 again. Anyone else do this?

stephenieann77sstephenieann77 Posts: 4
edited 04/11/2017 - 2:58 PM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi everyone. I'm 39, and had C5/6, and C 6/7 discs replaced (artificial)15 days ago. Anterioir procedure, No fusion, no cage, no screws, just the new discs. 

I had constant neck pain for at least a year, and the arm pain (we will call it that I am sure many of you know it is indescribable in its entirety)  started 4 months ago. I am a dental assistant who looks down and hyper extends my arms and neck  alllll day when I work, and had taken some extra hours/longer shifts, and a month of that I think  finally pushed me over the edge. The arm and shoulder pain were so bad I literally wanted to cut my arm off just to get a nights rest! Chiro made it worse, my sis in law is a PT and she couldn't help me, Finally went to family Dr and asked for an MRI referral of my neck. Neuro office tried Epidural steroids,  Nerve root blocks plus steroids, I did light duty desk work a couple of weeks, NADA. No relief. I refused narcotics due to my history of alcoholism (5 yrs sober yay) 
I was terrified the first week post op, as my left arm pain seemed worse, and i expected some kind of miracle when I woke up (HA). C6/7 disc had ruptured internally and downward and had left significant damage on spinal cord. (not seen on MRI from Jan. this year) Dr said that would take awhile to heal.

The second week got better, yesterday I felt normal. More normal than I have felt in a year. I was on a total "I am getting my life back high" and I got too over zealous with my cleaning at home, and going shopping, and then to top it off I got my camera out to take pictures of the moon last night, and woke up this morning and feel like I took a weeks worth of progress away. My arm is achey and my hand is tingling :( My lower neck area on the back is throbbing UGH. I am SO MAD at myself. Has anyone else done this? I am hoping I just re-irritated my healing nerves and need rest time. Surely I didn't damage my hardware? Any words are much appreciated! My post op visit is in 1 week. Thanks everyone!
PS: Taking it sooo easy today, ice packs, heating pad, anti-inflammatories. Short walk, mostly resting. I am not even going to cook dinner, and cancelled my plans to drive 20 mins to see my work peeps for a few tomorrow. I hope I wake up tomorrow and feel like I did yesterday again :disappointed:" alt=":disappointed:" height="20" /> 

Steph
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 4,776
    Hi Steph!

Welcome to Spine Health. I had to laugh at you asking has anyone else over done it. We all have. More than once.

You had surgery 2 weeks ago, you have to give yourself time to heal. Even the doctor said it would take a while.
    If I were you I would take a few days at doing nothing but short walks. No bending, lifting, twisting or pushing. Certainly no housework!!
    I can't stress recovery enough. You might feel good but the inside of your back doesn't. Let it rest.

Plesae click on the Welcome link below for more information.

Welcome to Spine Health

All new members should take the System Tutorial 
    Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History