Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

CPS(chronic pain syndrome)

has anyone had a diagnosis listed as this?  the reason I'm asking is that I noticed this listed on my Rx today.  On the bottom of the Rx, my pain management doctor puts the diagnosis code of why I'm being treated/prescribed opiates...in the past, it was listed as the code for chronic pain or back pain...stuff like that.  This seems to be more of a recent thing as I've never really noticed it in years past.  But on my latest Rx, I saw Chronic Pain Syndrome listed as the diagnosis.  Not knowing anything about CPS, I looked it up online...and let me tell you, that is NOT what I want listed as my diagnosis for getting my Rx filled as it is simply not true

maybe I'm looking into it too much, but to me in a way it's like going to see a therapist just to talk and he lists a mental health condition as my reason for my visit...am I paranoid? 
advertisement

Comments

• No, you are not 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello!
    Asking your doctor about it would be best bet for understanding and maybe not feeling so badly about the ....label....for lack of a better word.
    I am not sure what condition(s) you have been diagnosed with..although you mentioned back pain. Curious if doctor found cause...?

You also mentioned how your medical issue was described in the past. Curious to how long ago that was...?
    I don't know, but would be curious if terms doctors must use have changed ....to be able to be covered by insurance, or such??
    ..but of course, still truthfully.

I do know that besides treatments for my ongoing issues, I'm in chronic pain. If in looking up chronic pain syndrome, I might not fit into every category, but it may be if certain percentage applies, condition would apply.

It makes me think of depression. When looking it up, it may say, .....if you have six out of the ten symptoms mentioned here, please seek doctor's  care......as example.

I for one will be very interested to follow this discussion !
    Please keep us posted as to your doctor's response and/or whatever else you learn.
    Thanks!

Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • I've been in pain management and on opiates for 17 years and with this clinic for the past 3...this clinic was just bought out by a doctor and his son last Oct...they're the every 2 week appointment/Rx group...as soon as they too lover, out came the epidurals/RFA which has done nothing to really help in the past...but I went along with it without comment...this is the first time that the diagnosis of CPS has been used on my Rx sheet...in the past with them it was just the code for back pain

I had a L4-L5 fusion in early 2010, and the last MRI was 3.5 years ago and stated what the previous ones for the years after my fusion has shown

L1-L2...Tarlov cysts

L2-L3...DDD
    central protrusion/lateral recess narrowing both sides(where spinal nerves pass through)/narrowed foramina
    (stenosis)

L3-L4...DDD with symmetric bulge/narrowed foramina

L4-L5...fused/disc space narrowing

sacrum...Tarlov cysts

as of right now, there is not much that can done to correct anything, so it's really just been more maintenance...every now and then, I'll have a really bad flare up where a steroid shot into the facet joint/SI joint will calm the inflammation down

I've done many epidurals...facet blocks...SI joint injections...nerve blocks...2 RFAs which was like flushing a couple grand down the toilet...but it seems like now you have to take the shots, etc so the DEA will see something is being done besides just writing out a Rx

all of my visits with this provider have been uneventful...nothing has been discussed about my "outlook" on life, if anything has affected my mental health, stress levels...how well I'm coping with chronic pain the rest of my life......I've never given them any inclination that I'm not able to deal with my situation in any way...never circled "yes" on any of their silly questionnaires that they use to gauge any problem areas 

after reading online the current definitions of CPS, I just don't get their rationale

and yes, savage, trust me I will be getting to the bottom of this at my next appointment to find out their reasoning

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 2,561
    It can be confusing.  CPS (central pain syndrome) or CRPS ( chronic regional pain syndrome) can be an entirely different animal so its best to ask your doctor to clarify.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • This not sounds like mental health illness, its always good to have second pinion and opiates are strange 
  • advertisement
advertisement