Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

HELP PLEASE

Like many of you I am in agonising pain everyday, everything from showering to walking a few yards is affected. I had an mri in Feb'17 which shows the L5 buldging and has a slight tear. Swelling at the bottom of my back and it's extremely sore and tender to touch. After hearing there was a 28 week waiting list to see the surgeon I decided to go private. I've had four private appointments and the surgeon has said he would not operate as he doesn't think I'll benefit from it, he advised  I had physio which I did for 2 months but there was no improvement . I then went to see a Neurologist because for months I have had to feeling of when I need to wee and my bowels well I have to get to the toilet asap! The neurologist confirmed it was not a neurological condition which I am relieved but the pain is worsening medication  ( Gabapentin) is not working so I have now been referred to pain management. I am very reluctant to take morphine based tablets as it's just masking the pain and also horrible side effects. I cannot understand how people are left to struggle with chronic pain, every day I struggle and wonder if I'll ever get back to work.
advertisement

Comments

• memerainboltmemerainbolt IndianaPosts: 5,470
    Hello amyburgess

Welcome to Spine-Health

I am sorry to see you having to go through this.
    If the surgeon will not do surgery and you have tried everything else, maybe pain management would be best.
    There, you have other options besides morphine based meds. But you need to get your pain under control and get some help.
    Below is a link to give you an idea of what pain management can offer. Also click on the Welcome link below as well as the System Tutorial for more information.

Welcome to Spine Health

All new members should take the System Tutorial 

Please keep us posted on how you are doing,

Sandra
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my  Medical History
  • Yes strong medication. I've been referred to pain management but everyone seems to be dismissing the fact that I don't know when I need the toilet. Painkillers will mask the pain not solve the problem, it's so frustrating. I'm 32 and am very restricted in what I can do. 
  • advertisement
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    Hello Amy!
    It seems very good that you are going to see pain management  doctor!

My PM doctor did a variety of tests that were not mentioned to me previously....while he treated me for my pain.
    As with many of us, there was the trial and try again to find causes and again for proper treatments.

FAQs, on right side of page, under....Medical Information...you will find information on how to prepare for pain management visit.
    There is also other information that may be helpful to you for your appointment.

I brought along all the CDs that I had from any previous tests, so PM doctor was able to view and not be dependent on written impressions.
    My PM doctor was able to see things not noted on written impressions and disagreed with some of what was written.

I also kept my list of questions where doctor could see it....on my end of the desk, or on my lap....to help with visual cue for doctor to save time for my questions.
    Esp. at the beginning of my painful issues, I brought a loved one with me to PM appointment. They took notes for me.
    And I gave them permission to ask doctor any questions they had and to help me in my answers to doctor as needed.

Initially, my overwhelming pain took my full concentration and I was not a good historian of my own medical history.
    With so much happening, I'm still a poor historian of my own story...so, along with my med list, I keep a list with dates and diagnoses or issues discovered, symptoms began.....
    It also saves on writing things out at doctor's office as they simply make a copy and add it to my chart.

Please, let doctor know that you are having no feeling to empty your bladder and that your bowels are giving you little notice of need to evacuate...along with all your other symptoms.
    PM doctor may want to run his own tests on you.
    I do not have your bowel and bladder issues, and we are all so individual, but EMG was revealing in many of my issues.

Please keep us posted!

Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History