Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Who has a TENS unit???

hey all-
I am currently going to PT following ACDF surgery in March. They recommended getting a Tens unit for home so I can use daily. 
I am going to check with surgeon to see if he recommends and go through insurance first...
but I saw online you can buy these through Amazon?
Anyone use on regularly? Has it helped? How often do you use it and where did you get yours?
thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,271
    I've had about 4 different tens units in the past 15 years.  Anytime I am in a flare up, the Tens unit comes in very hand
    We can not make recommendations on which model to get, but there are plenty out there and Amazon's return policy can not be beat
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • I have 2.  One has the pads on wires and I use it when I'm at home lying on my bed.  Its great for those moments when you are not due for more meds but feel like screaming.  Works really well for a short while , enough to get you through the day.  The other is an all in one unit which can be worn under my shirt.  I use it if I have to go on long journeys, usually the 3 hour round trip to my surgeon.  Keeps me sane.  The bigger unit was about $150 AUD and the all in one about $50 AUD.  Both came from the chemist. (Pharmacy or Drug store to americans I think??) I had to purchase replacement pads for the bigger unit.  About $40 AUD. Really great investment, wouldn't be without mine.
  • advertisement
  • Hi linda

I also have a tens unit.  I have used it everywhere on my body except bottom of my feet!!! lol.  It works better for me in the lumbar region than my cervical spine.  Its worth to me is minimal for pain relief.  I do however use it all the time to start my car. lol.

dmo

• I love my tens unit!  Not sure how I was functioning without it.  My physical therapist arranged for me to get one and insurance approved it, so there was no out of pocket expense.  The majority of my pain occurs when standing and walking, so by the time I get ready for work I've reached my tolerance level for the morning.  When I get to work I have more walking and standing to do before I can settle at my desk, so I put my tens unit on and it really keeps the pain manageable until I get everything done and can sit.  It's great. 
  • I asked my PM DR today about a Tens unit. He was hesitant about it. He feels that it may cause muscle spasms which could result in pain (especially being post op ACDF).
    I will of course ask my surgeon before purchasing anything.
    The tens feels great when the physical therapist puts it on and then heating pads....!!! And I am done PT next week. 
    I also have lumbar issues and thought the tens may help that too...
  • advertisement
  • jimandjrjimandjr Dallas TXPosts: 745
    Have 2 tens units and an scs. Wish I had used the tens units more before I got an scs. They tended to burn my skin on high so I did not use that often. 
  • If you get one, be careful using it above the shoulders.  There is literature out there that says a patient shouldn't use a TENS around the neck or skull.  I'd certainly heed the advice of your surgeon in my opinion.

TENS and even H-Wave do help from time to time.  I use mine occasionally, but I'm not a big fan of the electrical feeling.  Plus being a guy, those pads rip hair off in a way that would make a waxing salon jealous.

Keith

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • WLLadyWLLady Ontario CanadaPosts: 1,435
    i have one, but since my rods were put in i haven't used it. did use it all the time before though for pain management and i bought mine off amazon LOL.  yep, its recommended to not use near head and neck, i'd let a PT use it if it's for neck....they know where all the sensitive nerves etc are.  and other piece of advice, never use a pad that is cracked or a wire is cracked, it'll give ya a good zap....LOL.  i haven't used mine since surgery because i'm having spasms in my muscles and electrical impulses will travel preferentially through my hardware and not the muscles if not placed correctly, so i'm waiting on my PT to say bring it in and we'll give it a go.  :-)
    Kathy
    Spine-Health Moderator
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec '16 T10-S2 fusion with pelvic fixation. Laminectomies L2, L3, L4, L5, facet removal, cages L4-5, L5-S1, severe scoliosis, arthritis and stenosis repair. 

• Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,510
    I loved have my own TENS unit, luckily I don't need it anymore - but keep it handy just in case...

if you get one, I recommend getting a potable device with rechargeable batteries and replaceable pads.

Bruce

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

advertisement