Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Herniated L5-S1/ Microdiscectomy

New to this but was hoping I could get some info on my Herniated L5-S1 microdiscectomy..

Not sure where to start but I am a 26 year old professional baseball player (pitcher) and I underwent a microdiscectomy procedure 2 months ago after 3 epidural injections. Before surgery I had terrible sciatica running down my right leg also numbness and extreme weakness in my toes, calf, hamstring and butt. I was so bad that I could barely walk and truly could not sure my right foot. 

Since the surgery on April 28th, I have seen a tremendous turn around. I have little to no pain (mainly soreness from physical therapy) and I have seen my strength come back in my butt and hamstring. I have began to lift weights (lightly), a core strengthening program, and began plyo exercises in the pool and I begin my throwing program within the next three weeks. 

As I feel like it is going pretty well for the most part, I do have some concerns with the weakness lingering in my right inner calf. I know that I did not damage the nerves, at least that is what the surgeon said, but have any extremely active people (i.e. professional athletes) on here dealt with this same issue? I have seen some strength come back but still cannot get up on my toes and walking is still awkward at times. Just looking for some answers. 

It would be greatly appreciated 

advertisement