Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Discharged from pain management! Need help.

Comments

• @MrNyle you still have to have all your medical records sent to your new doctor. So yes they will see any issues that arise during your treatment. Regardless if you send them, or your doctors office requests then the result is the same. Also, I signed a paper at my pain management office that lets them request ANY records from any course of treatment. So if I get seen in the ER, they can just request those documents without me. I'm sure a lot of offices have this in place. 

Retrolisthesis C4 of C5 and C5 of C6
    Spondylolthesis C5/C6
    Disc protrusions with Annular Tears C3/C4, C4/C5, and C5/C6
    Disc Material Compressing Spinal Cord C3/C4
    Severe Forminal Stenosis C5/C6
    DDD
    Ankylosing Spondylitis 
    Annular Tears L3/L4 and L5/S1
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Facet Anthrosis L3/L4/L5
    PLIF with Rods, Cage, and Pedicle Screws-L4/L5
  • Yeah, but it would be his current primary care doctor that would send the records to a new PM with the referral.  Now if they make you sign something that lets them acquire any records they want then he would be in trouble.  

I'm still skeptical about the "Electronic Medical Records Database".  Are you sure you're not thinking of the prescription drug monitoring program that some states have?  I asked social security to get all of my medical records, but they were not able to find them until I specifically told them which doctors/hospitals I had been to. 

• advertisement
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,562

As I tried to say, or perhaps didnt say or was not clear, Electronic Medical Records is the way of the future.  There will be a database that all folks authorized in the medical field to view.  

This EMR is data from doctor to doctor , doctor to pharmacy, pharmacy to pharmacy.  But its primary focus right now is sharing of data between physicians   

I have seen some of these records ..  In the state of CT, the Danbury Hospital has taken over several other hospitals in the state and their data is always shared.  I went for a X-Ray for my chest today and their information  was not only from the Danbury Hospital network but for several other practices in the state that have different portals.

Sharing of this type of data can only help patients in the long run.

On the flip side, it can also hurt those patients that have been up to no good

Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Hi Ron

Gosh I got to do the spacing thing will get it done. Anyway will you tell a little bit more about the central data base being created who is doing that and will it be state to state. Do you happen to know the name of it if there is one? The reason I am asking is I have ran into a new database with a couple of big hospitals. I think it is a good idea only for several reasons as long as the records are kept accurate and timely. It sure could take a lot of time for the doctors offices and such to keep it up but wow it would be a fantastic tool right?

Thanks Sherri

MrNyle

I apologize if my comments were a bit too harsh in response to your comments.   In no way did I mean to insult you or anything that you stated.

• advertisement

Sherri,

I will be glad to provide you with more information about medical databases.   First, I want to make sure I have everything in order before I present it.   As far as any name, what I have been told its Electronic Medical Records (EMR)  That is the name I have heard this mentioned in a few different hospitals and states.

Like you mentioned, I believe its the big hospitals in the larger metropolitan areas that are going with this first.  Even though, Danbury, CT is not what you would consider a large metro area, but with the take over of several other state hospitals, it needed to grow.

Most of my knowledge about this has come from my best friend, who is a physician and the Director of IT.   So, I've been hearing about this for about the past 5 or more years.   How important it will be for each hospital to get on board.  At first, most of this will be done at the in-patient level.   Follow on with be out-patient practices.   In our area, most of the out-patient practices are already tied in.

To me, this is ALL GOODNESS.     That is unless one record shows that in 1981 I took 3 extra Tylox and was short when it came to refill time.

• Goodness until it gets hacked and leaked online.

"In the United States in 2011 there were 380 major data breaches
    involving 500 or more patients' records listed on the website kept by
    the (HHS)"

"In 2013, reports based on documents released by Edward Snowden revealed that the NSA had succeeded in breaking the encryption codes protecting electronic health records, among other databases."

"In 2015, 4.5 million health records were hacked at UCLA Medical Center" 

• @MrNyle that is incorrect. When you change PM doctors, they always request your medical records from your previous PM doctor. I switched PM doctos cause I moved, and my primary wasn't involved in any of it. I had to have all of my records sent, directly from my first PM doctor, before my first visit. 

Retrolisthesis C4 of C5 and C5 of C6
    Spondylolthesis C5/C6
    Disc protrusions with Annular Tears C3/C4, C4/C5, and C5/C6
    Disc Material Compressing Spinal Cord C3/C4
    Severe Forminal Stenosis C5/C6
    DDD
    Ankylosing Spondylitis 
    Annular Tears L3/L4 and L5/S1
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Facet Anthrosis L3/L4/L5
    PLIF with Rods, Cage, and Pedicle Screws-L4/L5
  • Kybluegrass,  Another reason I believe that you may have an issue getting that final script is that even if the Doctor does not cancel it, the pharmacy may refuse to fill.  When I signed my contract at PM, I had to fill out the name and address of the one and only pharmacy I would be using and a copy of the contract was sent to the pharmacist at my chosen pharmacy.  So, my pharmacist would be alerted that I had been terminated and why and I am guessing would not fill anymore for me from that particular PM.  I could be wrong but just thought I would mention that.  I do hope things go well for you.

Cindy

• Electronic Patient Care Records are part of the ACA (aka Obamacare).  The system(s) are designed to be a cradle to grave record of your healthcare.  There are many vendors who are selling their systems to healthcare entities.  There are some medical disciplines that require everything has to be electronic and the Government gets access.   

Now, this is where HIPPA and ACA collide.  Though your records are electronic and will be stored by healthcare entities, there are stiff and I mean stiff penalties for anyone who accesses a patient file without authorization or need.  There are routine data runs done and if the system shows your file has been opened, it will also show by whom and on which date.  The data is secure (or as secure as electronic records can be).  Most reputable companies have spent hundreds of millions of dollars to create these databases with extremely tight security that works. 

It is a work in progress and will take many more years to fully grow to fruition.  This is another part of the ACA many American's don't know about or understand how it works.  There are rural hospitals across America closing all because of the requirements set forth in the ACA.  This is NOT a political statement, but fact - the ACA did open the door to many more people getting healthcare.  But it also is causing extreme financial hardships on hospitals and independent physicians.  There must be changes made to the program or we are going to have/cause an extreme shortage of doctors.  It's already beginning to happen!  I could write about this for days and never be finished.  Congress needs to WORK TOGETHER and tweak what we have.  

Keith

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
advertisement