Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

acdf today

kimmeamkkimmeam Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Good morning to all. I'm am soon to leave for my trip to the hospital. ACDF schrduled for today. I hope I drank enogh water yesterday. I am thirsty & can't even have my a.m. coffee. With your experience, will I be able to swallow. The surgeon says that it will be very difficult.
I got some paints & crystals to decorate my collar. If I gotta wear it I'm gonna wear it big!
Thank you all for your support. Will check in a few days!
advertisement

Comments

• Best wishes for a speedy recovery! I like your idea to add "bling" to your collar! Looking forward to hearing from you when you are home.
  • Good luck with your surgery today, soon you will be on your way to recovery. You should be able to swallow just not as well for a little while, just chew smaller bites and take your time.
    mark
  • Good luck with surgery, hope all goes well.
  • I just had my surgery for c5,6,7 July 08, returned to work 8/4. this is my first week back at work, work is sitting down. It seems that I am getting worse since going back to work. Or maybe I am just on my feet more. My balance is seems to be getting worse after seeming to improve alot before comming back to work. I also have myelophty and my feet are beginning to look like they don't work.(they don't work very well.) What is ACDF and what is a level2 ACDF?
  • I hope and pray all goes well for you during your surgery and I hope your recovery is even better. As for the swallowing deal, I am gonna be 3 weeks post op on wednesday and I still have difficulty swallowing foods and pills. Love the idea of decorating your collar...wish I had thought about that. >:D<
  • Good luck with your surgery. I know we'll all be thinking about you today.
    My surgery is scheduled for 8/26 (wish it was tomorrow). I was just talking to a florist friend of mine & told him that I was going to be decorating my collar. I have the same thought as you. If it's gonna be an "accessory" it best be a good one! We wouldn't wear ugly shoes, now would we???? :)
    I'll be looking forward to hearing about your recovery. Good luck!
    Kim in Cincinnati
  • ON 8/19 I am going to have acdf on c5 and c6. I am afraid, but I will be happy not to have pain in my left arm. I have had all the injections that I can have, so that is why I am having the surgery. So my question is how do you take a shower? Do you have to wear the neck brace all the time. I was told I have to stay in the hospital anywhere from 24 to 48 hours. I was thinking if it is hard to swallow maybe I will lose some of the weight I have gained from laying around and the meds I have been on.
  • Hope when you are able to read this you are already feeling much, much better!

I know about the drinking part... I wake up in the middle of the night for a drink because my throat is always dry. It was hard, but I made sure I had a good drink at 11:59PM the night before my surgery - LOL

"Collar-Bling", who woulda thought, sounds like something my wife would do!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.