Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

recommended to have fusion of L4/L5

advertisement

Comments

• I have been fused from S1 through L5.
    Put off the surgery aslong as possible!
    From my experience you will need a lot of help after the surgery with everyday life and your children. I did not have a good experience with this at all. 11 years later and I still have problems. 4/2008 I had to have a morphine pump installed because of the ongoing pain.
    But I know people that 3 months after their surgeries were up and around like nothing had ever happened.
    Say a lot of prayers before your procedure and have a lot of family support. Family love and guidence is always a very good thing. Keep family close at all times.
  • Fused L5-S1 and althoght the first three weeks were the worst I could ever imagine, after that I improved by the day. I am 6 weeks post-op and can do pretty much everything for myself. My pain level has gone down to about a 2.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • Hello again! Thanks for the replies. I have another question: What is your range of motion like once you have a fusion done?? I am getting L4 and L5 fused probably in Sept/Oct. I am a little scared of the unknown. I am 32 with 4 kids under the age of 6. I want to be able to get on the floor and play with my kids again without pain. That is why i am going ahead with the surgery. Will i be able to bend down and around once i am healed from the surgery?? Thanks
    Jaime
  • is so different on how they heal and what they can do after they heal that I think that it would be a wait and see type thing. check out the surgery section and I am sure that you will find lots of folks that have posted their experience with the fusion. Good luck with your surgery and please keep us posted.
  • I had PLIF in the S1 L5 to fuse my back on Nov. 3, 2008. Exactly one week after the surgery I started feeling this popping feeling. Kinda like when you step on bubble wrap. Now it feels like something rubbing together when I move. I wear my brace when I am out of bed. I'm kinda nervous as to what this is. Has anyone heard of this? I am waiting a call back from my doctor.
  • Although there is "no bending, lifting, twisting" for some months following surgery (at 3.5 months I still have that restriction) I do have friends who have had fusions who can certainly bend, get down on the floor - do pretty much whatever they want. One is 9 months post fusion and the other about 2 years. They have to bend from the hips rather than the waist but that does not seem to be very restrictive for them.

Just be prepared by arranging to have LOTS of help the first few weeks following surgery. For me (and I am much older than you), the first 2 weeks were very hard but after that I was able to do more for myself - though I was certainly not up to doing any housework, meal prep, etc. But I could shower with minimal assistance, fix myself a snack, fold laundry - simple things like that as long as the "stuff" I needed was at waist level or above. For example, getting food off of the bottom shelf of the refrigerator or items from low dresser drawers is still difficult for me. But with a grabber, you can pick up non-spillable things from the floor, etc. And I have just quit buying things that are on low shelves in the grocery!

I think most people would tell you that sitting is very difficult for quite some time post-fusion - it was about 6 weeks before I could sit long enough to eat a meal.

I have found recovery to be not so much painful as SLOW! The routine of walk, recline, walk, recline... gets old fast. Not being able to sit for long really limits what you can get done - I had never really thought about how little you can do in a reclining position. But, the severe pain I had prior to surgery is gone and the discomfort that remains seems to be responding nicely - though slowly - to PT.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

• hi,,,

i was wondering how you made out with the popping/bone rubbing thing. i am having the same symptoms. i told my
    surgeon and he just fluffs it off to being normal but im
    concerned that something is not right.

please let me know how u made out with this. hopefully it is resolved.

thank you in advance for any input you have on this

debbee : )
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.