Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 days post op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I got home last night-I had a anterior,post-fusion and facet fusion with instrunebtaion. The surgery took 9 hours and it webt well. I have refused pain meds-I have gad NOTHING but tylenol since meds make me sick. I can not feel my feet and my legs are numb but if I really concentrate I can walk (with a walker)-how long does the numbness stay??
advertisement

Comments

• Shay- I can't believe you are going through this with no med help. It took me a little med adjustments because I to can get sick .

When I woke from my fusion my left leg all the way down including all but my big toe was numb. I started walking with the walker and after a few sessions that leg got real painful, but less numb. Today basically a week later I only have numbness in my toes.

I came home with a cane and try walking some daily. I usually plan all of my activities around my pain m eds and sleep alot.

I have no idea how you are managing- I can tell when my pain meds are due by the pain level.

Hang in there- very soft hugs,

Julie
  • Thanks! I just read my post over again and realized that I did not type as well as I thought I had! I STILL feel groggy from the anesthesia! I feel asleep while eating today! I am so thankful to God that I have been able to manage my pain with tylenol! I have just kept repeating "mind over matter"-"mind over matter". My feet and legs are still numb-but I suppose it will get better with time. I hope your recovery continues to be successful!!
  • I wish you well on your recovery. Im sure in time your numbness will subside. Just give your nerves time to recover.

Best Wishes,
    Christina :)
  • Mind over Matter - you and must be on the same wave length or something!

That said, despite my pain/nausea issues I still managed on a low dose of 5mg Roxicodone. Of course pain meds are the most likely culpirts for my post surgery :sick: that caused the hemorrhaging etc etc.

I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and my behind is just coming back. There are still very numb spots back there, but I've got more feeling than I've had since surgery. Now, it's only on the left that I can tell, the right side, including my leg is still numb as numb.

Funny, but I don't think I ever felt much incision pain at all. Cut muscle pain sure, but never anything along the actual incision though.
  • Still in pain-still numb. I am so afraid to do something that is gonna "mess up" my surgery. Just walking to the bathroom and back wears me out! I know that I should be walking more but I STILL feel groggy! Anyone else still feel the effects of the anesthesia almost 1 week later?
  • Are you kidding me? LOL!! I was still in the hospital 1 week later. I was still having major nausea issues, still having days with my the imprint from the rim of the pink :& basin on my cheek.

I remember trying to shower after 1 week, I was so weak that I could NOT catch my breath after getting out. I just sat on the edge of my bed in a big sweat almost hyperventilating I was so worn out.

I could barely make it around the nurses station 2x - with 2 PT helpers walking on either side of me to keep me stable.

I think you are doing very well and by week 2 I think you will see a big difference, I sure did anyway.

Oh, and as for numb- I still have a lot of numb in my backside. It has gradually gotten to be less, but it is still there.

• Thanks! I guess I DO have it pretty good! My PT just left and he said that it takes 100 days for nerves to regenerate-so I may be numb for a while. I guess I just worry since I really do not know what to expect-or what is normal.
  • I think it was about half way through my 3rd week when I finally perked up a bit and it has been a slow improvement ever since. Be patient and kind to yourself, it is way early. I hope you continue to improve and get back to feeling like yourself.

Happy healing!!
  • Good for you, but then again -- i feel for you without meds......I could not imagine.

It will take a lot of time for the nerves to "reconnect" and/or behave naturally.

Let us all know how you are doing because YOU are a true testament to doing things the hard way.

I wish you the best of luck and your trials.......
  • The only thing I can take is dilaudid. I take ginger for the upset stomach/nausea issues. I am allergic to all NSAIDS and most other pain meds make me really sick. Good luck!
  • I cannot believe you didn't take pain meds. Your are such a truper. I had surgery the same day, 1 level, and I am taking too much meds. I am very rummy as I call it. I am trying tonight to switch my Norco 10 to 1 every 3 hours, instead of 2 every 4 hours. It is causing me horrible constipation :''( I am also soooo exhausted too. I walk for about 10-15 minutes then lay down for 1-2 hours. My first shower set me back like 2 days. I stayed 5 nights in the hospital. My legs are not numb, but I have weird nerve pain in hips, buttocks, thighs on both sides. I am assuming my nerves are very angry. Good luck and God Bless, Sue
  • Thanks everyone! I am doing amazing! I have been getting in and out of bed by myself and going to the bathroom by myself-and I even took a shower (sitting in my chair) by myself since yesterday. It is like I woke up a different person yesterday! I even walked around the block! I still have some pain-but I STILL have not taken anything but tylenol. I think that has helped me because I would be out of it still if I was taken meds. I am please with my recovery so far. I still have numbness in my feet/legs but I know that in time that will be better. I am a determined person-I will get through this! Good luck to everyone and thanks for asking!
  • I would love to be able to taper down to just tylenol but Im having a hard enough time going from Oxycotin to vicodin. Im sure my sureon will be impressed next monday. Ah well, the joys of pain...

Take Care,
    Christina :)
advertisement