Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How did you feel before surgery

Precious BamaPPrecious Bama Posts: 34
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was wondering how you felt before surgery. I canceled my surgery for now and going to have epidural Monday. I do not feel like being up and moving around - guess the pressure is the problem. Did you all have that problem.
brenda
advertisement

Comments

• I was nervous and sick to my stomach but I knew I was doing the right thing cause the pain in my back was getting worse every day and I just wanted to live a normal life. I didnt want to be in a wheelchair by the time I was 40.
    If youre at the point where you dont wana get up or go out because of the pain in your back I would suggest that if the injections dont work than surgery would be your only option left to keep any quality of life you may have.

Best Wishes and GoodLuck on your injection tomorrow,
    Christina :)
  • @) I was in a panic at first. I have three boys 19, 17 & 7 and my husband. I made lists upon lists of grocery items, chores that needed to be done daily/weekly, phone #'s, insurance info, atty #, etc. :? I had this irrational fear that while I recovered they would all starve while living in a foot of dirt. Well, none of that happened....although they are all boys and tend to clean like boys, but I learned to adapt. 8}

Next, I was in a panic over all the things I wanted to get done before the surgery date. I think my family was ready for me to go to the hospital for a few days to give them a break! =)) Grocery shopping, last minute cleaning, arranging rides for the 7 year old, etc. Making everyone extremely aware of their duties ( remember I said they are 19, 17 & 7...) The hardest part was giving up control.

A few days before surgery....I calmed down. All my TO DO things were done. I knew the surgery was the right thing for me, and I have complete trust in my surgeon. O:)

Everything worked out fine. The boys were great...as time has worn on, their sympathy wears a bit thin at times, but they just give me the typical eye roll and do as I ask. :< I am 12 weeks out of surgery, and recovery is slow but steady. When I over do it, the boys see it and tend to step up a bit more.

The anticipation of how my family would handle it was the worst for me. In the long run I had nothing to worry about. #:S They have been there for me, from day one and are very supportive. It has made my recovery a whole lot easier....because I just have to focus on me and getting better. On good days I try to do something special for them (with in my limits) like making one of their favorite dinners, or taking the little guy out for ice cream or a movie ( if its a real good day).

You have to do what is best for you. If you decide on surgery down the road, it has to be your choice.

Best of luck to you.
    Anna
  • Once I made my mind up to have surgery I could not wait to have it and even got my surgeon to bring it forward if he could, which he did. having had several less major surgeries over the years I did not think that I would be particularly nervous but the night before I was really nervous - not quite sick to the stomach, but not far off.

When I refocused on the long term benefits of surgery I was OK and the morning of the surgery I felt pretty good about it all.
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Oh, Anna, you could be writing my story there! Almost even to the kids! Mine are 23, 21 and a 6 year old)

The pre-surgery stress was a real whopper, I was even grateful my surgery was delayed. I need the extra time. Someone must have been looking out for me.

Precious, it is truly YOUR decision. YOU have to feel good about it. YOU are the only one that really has to live with the consequences.

I will hope that the injection really works for you. If it doesn't and you do end up having surgery, well, you will KNOW that you tried the options. You will feel better having exhausted all the alternatives. I applaud your courage and I will be hoping you really get the relief you need.

advertisement