Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI/CT results. I need your input on what to expect

grandmesamomggrandmesamom Posts: 181
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello to all. I am looking for some explanations on a recent mri/cat scan results
I had a C6/C7 ACDF 03/07 and did well until recently until June 08 when I started to have increased pain and weakness to my left arm. The NS didn't seem too concerned buy thought that I should go for a Ct scan. The results were frightening to me. The report says that there is a disc bulge at C3 C4. At C5 C6 a central focal herniation and right spur narrowing the Right neural foramen. C6 shows a left spur impinging on the left anterior canal.Possible C6 C7 left heniation and C7 T1 disc bulge. I don't understand how all of this was picked up on Ct scan but not the MRI. Plain xrays also showed bone spurs. I am terrified that the NS is going to tell me that I need surgery again. The arm pain and weakness are not improving. I also am noticing that my legs seem to be dipping at times when I walk. I can't possibly go through surgery again!! It seems that the ACDF just added problems to my cervical spine that were not there last year.
Do these cervical issues ever stop?I am soooo frightened of becoming disabled.
Any advice would be appreciated. I just want this all to stop!
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Bethy
advertisement

Comments

• wow did you have any of these problems or should i say herniations before your other surgery or did they just show up?I can't understand how you can have a herniation on a level that's supposed to be fused.Did you have some kind of fall or were you in an accident?I know that i've heard of people having trouble with the levels around the surgical site but this sounds a little much.I know what your talking about when you say about your legs.i had the same problem before my surgery and it got so much better afterwards. i walk great now. hopefully you have a good surgeon who will not sit back and let you get worse. Good luck to you! >:D<
  • I dont know what you can except, I would think surgery, but I dont know it is only my opinion, and I am not a doctor. I dont understand either how you can have herniation at a disc the isnt suppose to be there, if you had a fusion.
    Good luck with everything and let us know how things go with your doctor.
  • I am so sorry you are having all of these problems now. I wish I knew of something other than saying surgery again, but I am sorry thats what it sounds liek to me. When do you go back to your doctor? Please keep us all posted on what you find out. >:D<
  • I don't understand how the Ct scan says I have a herniation where it was already fused. Could this be a radiologist error? My MRI did not mention all of these disc level problems,just the CAT scan report. How can he CAT scan pick up more than the MRI? I only had the C6 C7 herniation in March of 07.
    I did not have a recent accident or fall but I believe this all stems back from a severe whiplash injury in 1985.I agree that this sounds a little overboard. I am not in as much pain as I was when I originally ruptured the disc. I am hoping this is all a mistake or an over exaggeration.
  • I go t'o the NS on the 18th after I have a emg and another MRI of thoracic spine. I already saw the NS after my MRI in JUne and he did not seem all that impressed. He agreed that there was muscle weakness and muscle wasting and ordered these additional tests. When I did return he seemed disappointed to see me in his office. He stated " I performed a flawless operation on you and it's impossible that anything went wrong.' I think I may seek another opinion because that statement still haunts me.
    Thanks for caring, Bethy
  • Hope every thing goes well with your test. It sounds like the NS is full of himself. A second opinion may be a good idea. Lets us know how everything goes.
    Good Luck
  • My rear end!!! X(. He isnt even my doctor and I am mad for you. Boy he is full of himself!!! I would definetely go get a second opinion Bethy.
  • I know that surgery seems frighting right now. But with the systems in your legs you need to get this fixed ASAP. I had problems in C5 thru C7 and I got to the point I couldn't walk, had problems with bladder and bowels. I was orginaly(sp) told I had neuropathy and needed to learn to live with it. When I went back to the dr (a year later) He took one look and sent me for an MRI. I had surgery on 6/20. Things are improving but very slowly. I was told if I didn't get the surgery I would be paralized from the neck down. Please take care of your self, get a 2nd opinion but don't just wait for things to get worse because they will.
  • thank you for your thoughts. It scares me to think what could happen if I don't address this problem. I would like to get back to a normal life of gardening,golfing and yes housekeeping! I still don't understand how this all happened in one year. bethy
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.