Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Allergic reaction to BMP

mmoore62mmmoore62 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:) Hello: I recently read the note about a possible allergic reaction to BMP. I recently had lumbar surgery with BMP and about 1 week post surgery I started to break out in hives and unbearable itching. My face, eyelids, and body were swollen and I was in constant misery. They put me on prednisone, which seemed to calm down this inflammation and Atarax. As soon as I came off the prednisone it started all over again, so I am now back on it again. They did blood work, which did not show anything, so now I am just waiting to see what happens after I am off prednisone again. This is sheer misery. I was doing very, very well post surgery, and was able to move around very well. This is my second lumbar surgery and I have also had cervical surgery as well. This is the first time, however, with the use of the BMP. I am wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

I did research on the internet and did find that there is the possibility of allergic reactions, but they are often remote. My doctor told me that any foreign substance entered into the body is always a risk for developing some type of reaction. This is very puzzling to me, and one I hope never again to experience. Thanks.
advertisement

Comments

• Monique

I had a suspected reaction to the BMP. I tried looking it up online too and really did not find much information at all on it.

I did not have hives, but my right leg, the one that was progressively getting more and more numb (the one that had NO problems pre-surgery) was swollen.

The Dr. said - after the second surgery, where he removed the BMP from the spinal canal, that he could not really say that the numbness WAS from an allergic reaction, or if it was a hemorrhage, but he did manage to halt the spread of the numbness with that follow-up surgery.

Prior to the second surgery he said, "best to go in now instead of having to do it in say another 3 weeks". I was very grateful he was so proactive about it.

He also asked me if I was allergic to meat, cheese, milk, cows. Yes cows. I guess the BMP is bovine in it's origin, yes bovine, as in a cow.

I am not allergic to anything like that; cats, yes, cows and horses - well, only the dust on them.

Do you have other swelling besides the hives? Do you have other stress in your life?

Hive sources are just so hard to identify. My DH had them BAD years ago. Every single night, huge body-enveloping welts. The only thing we could connect them to was stress and evenings. There are just about a bazillion causes of hives that it's almost impossible to say any one thing is the source. Could it possibly be related to a medication? Have the Dr.'s considered any drug side effects?

I'm glad you are getting the prednisone, sounds like the docs are really tracking it - I really really hope it is not the BMP, that would suck to have to go back in.

Good luck and keep us posted, I'll be watching and wondering...
  • my was positively linked to the bmp allergic reaction althouth they said its very rare its did happen, they cant go in and just take it out that would be a mess. they wait to see if bone is going to lay down and the reaction will go if away. if not after 3 to 6 months they do a revision and thats from the front. i broke my neck and had a c5 fusion in 1990 and had no problems what so ever to this day. only difference they took bone from my hip, and not some freakin man made protien.
  • smcbridessmcbride CaliforniaPosts: 1
    MY EXPERIENCE WITH A (POSSIBLE) REACTION TO BMP
    Maybe this will help someone else to know what I've experienced. I've been told that I probably have a reaction to the BMP (Bone Morphogeneitic Protein) used during my anterior L5-S1 Fusion (7/15/2016). I was doing well until Day 13 when I was unable to sleep. When I tried to sleep I had severe left leg pain, which was the side where I had pain prior to surgery. I was lucky to get 2 to 4 hours of sleep. I was worn out and very hurting. When I told the doc the symptoms, the diagnosis was a reaction to the BMP. Prior to surgery I was told that about 5% of people have a problematic reaction to the BMP. As I understand it, the BMP is used to help the cadaver disc thrive in the body (for lack of technical terms). I was given 5 days of Toradol. I'm not sure why, but I think it was to help with the reaction. It didn't help much with the pain or the problem of sleeping during the night. Finally, I was prescribed Gabapentin, which helps with nerve pain. I was finally able to get enough relief to sleep, but during the day the nerve pain varied from tolerable to very ouchy. It would surface in various parts of my leg and be achy or stingy or throbbing. I was told it should go away by week 6 after surgery. I have 12 days to go and am hopeful. I had to back slide in my routine of walking; however, I am now able to walk 20 minutes 3 times a day. I will add to this report if in fact the nerve pain does end at 6 weeks. I have to say, sometimes the pain is down right awful! I'd like to know more about BMP if I am ever faced with using it again. When the doc said 5%, I was definitely thinking - not me! I'd like to hear other patient's stories with BMP. THANKS!