Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I hope someone can give me some advise---I am 10 weeks post-op from L5/S1 decompression with fusion. At week 8, on 7/22, my PT started me on crunches and hip bridges (hip lifts). When I saw my doc on the same day, he said I was fusing and that the 2 screws were still in place and had not moved at all. He advised that I start trying to bend some but not to go crazy with it!After a week of the exercies, I started feeling much more flexible and had much less hip pain. Before surgery, I had terrible right leg pain and hip pain. After surgery, the leg pain subsided after about 3 weeks but the hip pain comes and goes. My problem is this... a couple of days ago I bent a little more than I should have and now have right hip and pain in my right front thigh. I have been making it on Ibuprofen during the day with one Lorcet at night until this happened. This morning I had to take a Lorcet and I'm still feeling the pain. It isn't unbearable but it scares me that I may have done damage to fusion. :SS Has anyone else out there had this happen? Could it be that I just irritated a muscle or nerve that hasn't been used in a while?

Mel

advertisement

Comments

• If the new pain hasn't settled down and you've been hurting for longer than a couple of days, I'd call your surgeon's office for advice. It's probably just what you said, but better safe than sorry. Good luck and I hope things settle down soon. Take care, Spicey
  • ---I think your're right. I have tried to rest as much as possible today alternating heat and ice. If nothing has changed tomorrow, I will call my surgeon.

Thank you for your advice--
    M

• HI Mel,
    I often get a pain in the front of my thighs when I walk. I find I can actually walk it out now. I used to stop and worry that it was something bad but now I just keep walking with butt tucked under, abs pulled in etc and eventually it does go.
    Often then my ankle starts hurting but I can walk that out too :)) would be nice if they syncromised!
    L5/S1 isn't generally related to the thigh but as Spicey said if it is still there in a couple of days check with your Doc or your PT.

Blessings Sara
  • Your original note says you're taking ibuprophen. Most docs don't let you take non-steroidal anti-inflamatory meds post fusion. Did your doc clear you to take it once you saw fusion?? We forgot to ask at our last appointment when my husband could re-start anti-inflammatories.

Terri
  • My doc said no ibprophren for at least 9 months!
  • My surgeon, too, said no NSAIDS (Ibuprofen is one) for 12 months post-surgery. The issue is that NSAIDS inhibit fusing. He is also really big on having his patients walk. Had me walk a mile the day after surgery, and every day thereafter until the 8-week checkup, when it went to 2 miles a day.

Now, almost 6 months post-op, I'm back to (my guess) 80% of normal. Continuing to walk, lift weights, stretch, do crunches, and everything else the surgeon and PT told me to do. Pretty much pain-free, but am still taking Soma twice a day for muscle spasms.

All in all, I'm really pleased with my results. Hope you continue to get better. Please ask your surgeon about NSAIDS before continuing to take Ibuprofen!!

robba
  • Surgeon said no ibuprofin for 6-8 months after surgery.
    I do hope your pain eases up and disappears.

Christina :)
  • It is almost impossible to damage the hardware, but very realistic that you aggrevated something physical. If it continues, call your doc and tell him.... the worst he can do is take an xray and look at the hardware.

Most likely you have overdone it and will be just fine as everything relaxes. Be good to yourself and take it easy

Best wishes
advertisement