Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi almost newbie here with 1 year post surgery

24-7 stiff neck224-7 stiff neck Posts: 196
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in New Member Introductions
I am a newbie except for a few post a couple months ago. My old name was "KC c3-c7 fusion". My last Neurosurgeon appointment was in May 07. X-Rays identified movement at C6-C7 fusion (1mm). This has me worried somewhat, I pray that I will not have to have another surgery. Now at 1 year post surgery, my neck still has very little ROM and I still have troubles swallowing.

I am using childrens chewable vitamins. My throat still feels numb to the touch and I have chronic pain at the back of my neck that runs down between my shoulder blades. I use Loratabs and muscle relaxers for my pain (usually 2 each per day). I have a TENS UNIT, but very seldom use it. I have pain within a few hours in the morning, but try to use Ibuprofen until late afternoon.

I use a soft neck collar sometimes when traveling (like on bumpy dirt roads)and when I try to do some very like honey due projects at home. I also have some sad days sometime, but try to turn it into a good day by praying and "feeling lucky to be alive and walking around".

I also know alot of you have many more problems then I have and I also pray for all the Spine Members. I have not returned to work since my Cervial Myelopathy surgery. I will try to stay in touch now that we have completed our move from Utah to Montana.

God Bless All, KC
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry to hear your surgery was not successful. please never feel that your problems are any less than anyone else's! pain and discomfort are equal partners. i so wish i was in Montana. living in the city does not work for me anymore. well, you know your way around the forum so make yourself at home. good luck and do not be afraid. we do care! Jenny :)
  • welcome to spine-health....
  • lulusheart, thx 4 reminding me that I should not discount my problems just because others might have bigger programs. I have always done that. Sorry I did not get back to posting faster, wife & I went on a short 2 day/1 night road trip to some ghost towns and a prison tour in Montana. Had a great time but was in alot of pain in my neck from the very bumpy dirt roads. I thought wearing my soft neck collar would of done the job as it has in the pass.

bigcat90, thx for the welcoming post.

Hope to chat with both of u in the future.
    GOD BLESS ALL, KC
  • Have you tried any of the long acting opiates yet? They actually work very well and are much safer than ibruprofen or loritabs if used on a regular basis. I am so sorry to hear of all that you have been through and Jenny is right your pain is just as important as the rest of us! Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.
  • to SPine Health :)

Best Wishes,
    CHristina :)
  • Painintheback, I do not think I have tried opiates and I have tried to research info without any sucess. I will ask my pain management doctor about them on my next visit in about two months. What do you mean that they are safer? I think what I am taking now can be a problem for my liver if not taken as prescribed. Do you know where I might be able to find out somemore info about opiates?

Christina69, thx for the welcoming post.

GOD BLESS TO ALL,
    KC
  • KC- welcome to the site. It sounds like your short trip was fun ( 8) ghosts and prison tour) and glad you enjoyed it in spite of the neck pain. take care... :))) jade
  • Opiates are a broad class of narcotic analgesics derived from opium. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opiate
    Lortab is an opiate, as is morphine, codeine, heroine, etc, etc. Long-acting opiates are slow released, usually taken every 12 hours or less, are used in chronic pain, and should provide a more steady pain relief. Examples are Ms-Contin, Kadian, Oxycontin, Methadone, etc. Hope this is helpful. Sue
  • Hi jade2, yes I did have a fun time on our short trip even with my neck pain and thx 4 the welcome post.

Hi Cali-Sue, Thx for the infor and the web site shortcut. I will be reading the info on it real soon.

GOD BLESS TO ALL,
    KC
  • I am on methadone and my doc assures me that your body hardly even recognizes it. It will not do the damage to your organs like a lot of other meds do. Also, methadone is comparable to oxycontin but is extremely cheap to purchase. I read an article that was saying that more elderly people should be prescribed the opiates instead of some of the pain meds that they are prescribed because they do not do the damage to your organs like the others will.
  • Painintheback, Thanks for the info on methadone, I will be sure to discuss my pain medication at my next doctors appointment in November. I do not want any additional problems from the pain medication I am taking.
    GOD BLESS TO ALL
    KC
advertisement