Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any Surfers Out There??

froggyrn1ffroggyrn1 Posts: 90
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Water Cooler
Hey kids. Just thought it'd be nice to connect with others who might be in the same boat (or board :D ) as me. I live in Redondo Beach, California and grew up surfing all over the South Bay.
I miss surfing sooooo much, and I'm hoping to be able to get wet again sometime in the very near future. I feel like my world is so small without it, and like my main outlet for stress relief has been swept away with the tide.
So, my point is to start a discussion on best surf adventures, including where it was at, what kind of break, and what made the experience so memorable.
Of course, all water sport peep's are invited to contribute too!!! Anyone with a good story, really 8>
~Lauren
advertisement

Comments

• I do the boogie board on occasion.

B)

Cheers, Mate
  • Hiya Mate!
    Thanks for being the ONLY one to respond. Any good stories to share? Shark attacks up there in the bay or anything??
    ~L
  • Actually, almost every year here features a clash between the Sharks and the Surfers and I'm not talking hockey. So far, I think the Sharks have won every encounter. I guess it's a mobility thing, healthy spine or not, for the Surfers.

;)

I stick to the shallows, as in 3 feet and less. You can't pay me to swim beyond visual clarity of depth. Yes, they call me Chicken of the Sea in these parts.

:D

Cheers, Mate
  • lauren- I used to body surf and I loved it! I got drug to the ocean floor a few times and got some serious sand scrapes..ouch.. :''( Gotta watch the undertow. I sure miss it though....jade
  • Awww see Mate, its cool to have something to show for your adventures! And you gotta share, how do you boogie board in 3 feet of water?? LOL!
    Jade~I hope you get to experience the awesome power of the ocean someday again :) Where did you use to body surf? Any favorite places?
    ~Lauren
  • Lauren,
    The Gulf-coast just does not have the waves for surfing.
  • My favorite is Stinson Beach, north of the Golden Gate Bridge on the Pacific coast. I tend to go about 2 times a year, typically when it gets hot enough in San Francisco to motivate me. It is a big enough beach with white sands, basketball courts, and a nice mountain backdrop.

The water in all Bay Area beaches is relatively cold, mandating a wet suit almost all of the time if you spend significant time in the water. As I am not in the water to long and don't go far for challenging the sharks, speedos are enough for me.

;)

About 8 years ago when my brother visited, we were wading and spotted pilot whales. The surfers were oblivious. My brother and I decided not to indulge our fascination, looking for ladies that perhaps needed rescuing. None were to be found and, despite looking all day long, our quest went unfulfilled.

:D

Actually, I am a lot more intrepid when I visit Hawaii. The water is clear and most important of all...lots of people are in the water. If a tiger shark should materialize, there are lots of snacking options besides moi.

image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" />

Cheers, Mate
  • lauren- I used to body surf at Daytona Beach..Just like mom says though- It's alot of fun till someone gets hurt.. :T
    There are alot of riptides there so you gotta be careful. :))) jade
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    Been there a few times, have a close friend that has a condo down there. Also in Pensacola, talk about Shark attacks. Haevnt heard any this year, but in the past 3 years there were more than there every has been.
    Though some of them were just careless. Wading in water with fishing bait on their belts! Now that wasnt too smart.

Closest I've come to a Shark, were Sand Sharks on the North Shore (Stony Brook) of Long Island, NY
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • you frequent Pensacola? Panama City has been my most popular destination ever since I was a kid. My grandfather moved not far from PC so going to the beach and seeing him would be done in same trip. It's closest to me also. Gulf coast beaches are pretty but do not have big waves.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    Not alot. Our friends have a condo about 2 miles from some of the Beaches in the Gulf Shores. They are I have to assume is the costal. Last summer we went with them when they bought a new boat up in Dresden, Florida and went cruised on back to
    where they lived. I was amazed at the large barges up and down the coastal and the number of shipping boats that apparently got damaged from one of the hurricanes and are just beached.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • but I dug up some photos on surfline of probably the one day a year it breaks there:

http://photos.surfline.com/view_image.php?pid=35656&pos=1&aid=2&sort=views&days=15

oooooh how I'd love to be in that pocket...
    ~Lauren
  • ........but I am having hardware removal surgery on Thursday so I have a lot to do.

I am mostly riding my longboards these days, especially since my fusion surgery a year ago. I have a Wegener single 9'5, a McTavish Fireball 9'4" tri-fin and a Spider Murphy shaped Safari 6"4" Thruster and a 7'6" California Gun Thruster shaped by a friend.

Excuse the dirty wax. My Fireball is not in the pic....cool board, I like it the most.

I grew up surfing Durban South Africa.

I live in the Valley so I surf Malibu, Mondo's, County Line, and once in a while get down to San Onofre or Bolsa Chica if I hook up with a local buddy....mostly the 'Bu.

I know what you mean about missing the waves
  • "The Gulf-coast just does not have the waves for surfing."

I guess riding oil tanker wakes is common there..LOL!! I'd give it a go.

While we are on the subject of surfing.....

• video of guys riding wakes of oil-tankers....cool. They said the ride lasted 10 minutes!
  • I have surfed for many years. After Katrina hit gas got too expensive to go to the beach. (2hr drive). Then hurt my back and have not been in awhile.
  • do you live GodStang?

I got in the water about a week ago to teach a friend who was in town. I took one wave just to feel it, but wow I'm definitely not ready yet...
    Although I do have to say my little protege did quite well, actually catching and riding at least 3 waves on his first time on a board! I'm so proud...;)

• I live in South Carolina. We do most of our surfing at the washout on Folly Beach, SC. It is nothing like the pacific but it is still ALOT of fun. My sister lives 30 mins from there and I leave my boards at her house so I go down there and pick them up and go with her husband. Only time its really good is when hurricanes are off the coast. Already missed one great storm this year. They said it was the best ever in that area.
  • New surf topic: SCARS...got any good ones????

My best is on my right wrist and I love it. Its 32 stitches on the back side, straight and clean like a surgical wound. Got it my 2nd week surfing during the summer before I started high school, was run over by my tiny little 105lb friend on her 9'4" Hap Jacobs. Worst part about it was being out of the water for a whole MONTH...and during the summer! I was crushed, but it amped me for the next time I could get back in the water (kinda like how I'm feeling now!!!)
    ~Lauren
  • I prefer surfing Frozen snow but that's what gave me my first L5 rupture. More powder less ice. No Landind skills= Hospital Bills
advertisement