Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware removal

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Scoliosis
Hello everyone,
My name is Jessica, and I have been dealing with back pain for as long as I remember. Anyways, due to Scoliosis, my back doctor did a spinal fusion in 2003 of 13 disks with the implantation of 3 rods and endless screws. Anyways, i have under when 2 other back surgeries cause I kept having severe upper back pain. I had a piece of hardware removed in 04 and an infection removed in 05. I went off feeling great. I was blessed with a beautiful baby boy. Unfortunately, after my pregnancy, my upper back started to hurt again. It felt as though I was continuously being stabbed in my lung and muscle under my shoulder blade. Anyhow, that brings me to me question. My new back doctor had determined that I have a broken rod due to improper fusion and he wants to remove the hardware and refuse the two disks that did not fuse. I was wondering if anyone had been though something like this. I have no idea what to expect and I am starting to get anxious. I would leave it as is, but it is getting to the point that I am unable to hold my 15 month old son due to the pain it causes. So if anyone can give me advise that would be great. Thanks for your time.
Jess
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Jess,
    Thats horrible you can't hold your baby anymore. I have scoliosis too with 3 harrington rods. I did not know they could break. I used to always have pain under my sholder blade and still do, it comes and goes, nothing like yours. I was told it was just a wire. Maybe your doctors should use better equipment. Are you see the very best doctor in your area? If you are anywhere near Virginia I could share my doctor with you. I haven't actually seen himm yet but I have done a lot of research and he looks great and I have talked to people who were very pleased and people who wanted him but he old takes complex cases. I guess old scoliosis and degenerative disc, bulging disc, narrowing and nerve compression makes me complex. Yippee! Does he want to put another rod in there? Plus I would like to know how was your recovery after your disc surgery. I think I might be headed that way but it is scary to think how they will get around in there with all the metal I already have.
    Peace be with you....Melissa
  • Jessica,

I had my scoliosis surgery 21 years ago because my spine was poking into my heart and we thought I was having a heart attack. We found out instead that I had a 78/84 curvature in my spine.

I've had 2 surgeries since and am looking at another one in a few weeks. I didn't think that they could break, but I also didn't realize I would have degenerative bone disease or arthritis - or more surgery. If I understood him right, he is going to replace them all and add some more. My rods already span from my neck into my tailbone, so I can't imagine where he will "ADD".

Nevertheless, know that God will walk through it with both of us, and we WILL come out on the other side! I will be praying for you until I see that you are fully recovered!! If you feel like you need to talk, feel free to email me anytime @ pg091808@yahoo.com!!
This discussion has been closed.