Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

TruFuse Procedure?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:22 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone had the TruFuse procedure done as a minimally invasive alternative to major surgery? My pain guy is recommending it and I can't find too much information on it. I understand it has been used overseas for years and was approved in the US a few months ago.

Jerry
advertisement

Comments

• I was intrigued by your question so I did a web search that came up with 0 results other than your posting. To get more info, you probably will have to talk to your pain guy and ask him where you can learn more about that procedure. If you find your answer, I hope you will share it with us, as I am very curious about it.

Kin :T :B
  • Thanks for the info Michelle. I looked at it and since it quite brief I can't say too much about it only that it seems to me that it has a very narrow application. I am not a doctor, but it appears that it would not replace major surgery, e.g., one when there is over 5 mm displacement.

Kin
  • I agree Kinpain. Seems like it's for those who don't have major facet problems yet. I'm no surgeon either...lol. Maybe it could fix the problem before it gets really bad and prevent having a major surgery. :/
  • I had a TruFuse about two weeks ago. Unfortunately, it's probably too soon to be able to give a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" but I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can.
  • optimistooptimist Posts: 546
    edited 03/11/2014 - 9:44 PM
    I didn't have this exact material, but I did have what is referred to as a "posterior facet fusion". I had stabbing pain after my ALIF that several surgeons felt was because I wasn't "fully fused" (pseudoarthroses) and that microinstability was causing my pain. They removed the facet joints and mixed up my bone/cartilage with another material; not Trufuse, (anyone interested can pm me), but I am still somewhat "behind the curve" in making new bone, and not solidly fused yet. There has been a significant improvement in the piercing facet pain, but I am by no means back "to normal" yet, hoping that once I fuse completely more pain will improve. If you are 100% sure facet pain is your only issue - this may be the answer; but I have also been told by other doctors I'm kidding myself that this will serve to completely stabilize my spine....
    Also I would hardly call this "minimally invasive" - my scar was longer than my ALIF and actually more painful.

Well - I went searching and found some more links:

www.youtube.com/match?v=nTxsDpkuT1w

Moderators feel free to delete - I tried to post both sides of this. Again, I did NOT have this exact product, and my facet joints were destroyed as suggested by one of the comments in the link above.
  • It ruined my life. Do not do it. The new pain that it creaed is a thousand times worse. Do not do trufuse!!
  • Can you have trufuse taken out if it is unsuccessful?
  • Well,as of today.It is a very good question.I have contacted trufuse In several occasions.And ,theydid not bother to call me back.I want the plugs to be removed from my body.I have 4 of them implanted.And,,none of them fused ,not even one!!
  • I have had one, years ago. In fact I was told I was the biggest guy one was done on at close to 400 lbs at the time. I was in a back brace for about two months. That I an say was no fun. However ALL of my back pain is gone. The only thing that didn't go away for me was the neuropathy in my feet. I'm good to go with everything else. I'm even back into martial arts classes. Something I couldn't even consider before having the surgery.
advertisement